• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An idea

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
Here is an idea for the upcoming Diamond and Pearl for something the forum can do. My idea is for the forum to have its own pokemon league. Now, what am I talking about and how will it work?

My idea is for when the game to come out, instead of just having some random tournaments or just playing signally, this is an idea that will get people more into the game and in an interactive way.

What I am suggesting is to have this forum run a pokemon league. What do I mean? Some-what like the game and the anime.

For it to work, things would have to be set-up early. To start off, an elite four would have to be set-up (however the forum wants to do it). The elite four would have to be with trained, good leaders/organizers, and have good knowledge of the game and pokemon in general. They would be the over-seers of the league making sure the gyms follow the basic rules, run the tournaments, and of course play the role of the elite four.

Now, how would the gyms work? For the start, there would probably have to be volunteers to run gyms. The minimum would have to be eight gyms for it to work. The gym leaders would set-up their own rules (such as, will the standard be 50 or 100, how many pokemon allowed for use, etc). Should the gyms be set-up as themes (water,fire, etc)? I think the forum leader should decide if there should be mandatory themes or not, or if they want it to be like a gym such as Giovanni's (even though he originally had a theme, he later got Mewtwo). After the eight gyms are set up, in order for a new gym to open they would have to be approved by the majority of the Elite Four. When trainers lose to a gym, they would have to wait a week to fight them again unless the leader says otherwise.

After the trainer gets all 8 badges that is required, they would be eligible to participate in the Pokemon League Tournament (how often that happens is up to the forum obviously, I'd suggest a month). Of all the entrants, only a certain percent of those are able to fight the Elite Four to become a Pokemon Master. It would be decided through a tournament where the top people are given the opportunity. The losers would lose their badges and would have to start all over again.

When there are many good trainers wanting to become gym trainers, a new league could be set up with its own Elite Four.

So, what do you guys think of this idea?

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
Wow, thats actually a REALLY good idea. It could use some obvious tweaks, mind you, but its a good idea. What are your thoughts exactly on picking Gym Leaders and Elite Four members, though? To start things off, I mean.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
Wow, thats actually a REALLY good idea. It could use some obvious tweaks, mind you, but its a good idea. What are your thoughts exactly on picking Gym Leaders and Elite Four members, though? To start things off, I mean.

The Elite Four is a tough one because they have to be pretty good. Maybe a tournament to decide the best ones, or just have interested staff members become it.

As for the gym leaders, for the start just volunteers and let the Elite Four decide their fate from there if they should stay or not as it progresses and becomes bigger.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
:B That'd be really cool. I'd love to see this implemented somehow. I mean, it would really make use of the new features D/P bring to the table and any form of interactivity is great.

It's just a bit questionable about the gyms, I think. With that many participants, I would think that one person--let alone eight--would have problems making time to battle every single badge applicant. So maybe the gyms could be themed or something so that there could be several really good trainers that lead one gym. I guess it would be comparable to the Cerulean City sisters in the anime, how a team of people split up the applicants evenly. That way no one would run into problems like having a backlog of battles to get through. I'm sure there are other ways around this but that's one suggestion and the problem should probably be taken into consideration all the same.

Regardless, this'd be awesome. =D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
It's just a bit questionable about the gyms, I think. With that many participants, I would think that one person--let alone eight--would have problems making time to battle every single badge applicant. So maybe the gyms could be themed or something so that there could be several really good trainers that lead one gym. I guess it would be comparable to the Cerulean City sisters in the anime, how a team of people split up the applicants evenly. That way no one would run into problems like having a backlog of battles to get through. I'm sure there are other ways around this but that's one suggestion and the problem should probably be taken into consideration all the same.

Thats actually not a bad idea to have backup leaders for the gyms. It would definitely make things easier for the gym leaders. But also, what I am suggesting as well which would help which is to allow more than eight gyms. All you need is eight badges so they wont get constant flood of participants.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
There was actually something like this on the mIRC battling bots a looooooong time ago. And it worked well with just one gym leader per gym. Basically, there was a page with a list of the gyms and their leaders, as well as ways to contact them. Then you would contact them and arrange a mutually agreeable time for a match.

I actually really like this idea. =o
As long as I get to be an Elite Four member.
*shot* XD

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
There was actually something like this on the mIRC battling bots a looooooong time ago. And it worked well with just one gym leader per gym

Maybe it could be up to the gym to decide if they want to have a team running the gym.

Absolitude

Disaster in Absol clothing
Years
That idea is very unique. =D As long as PC has the DB space, and what-not for it, i think this will be very good to keep people coming, and get even more people to get involved. Kinda like real life role-play. This could also be tied in with the new d/p friends code sharing system.

Morkula

Years
It wouldn't be that much of a database problem...most of it would be done over Nintendo WFC anyway.

All it would require on the actual forum is maybe a few threads and some custom profile fields.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
It wouldn't be that much of a database problem...most of it would be done over Nintendo WFC anyway.

Yeah, all it would actually need is a few threads to work properly. My suggestion would be to have a sub-forum in the Diamond and Pearl forum for it. Inside there would be stickie(s) for the gym leaders describing who it is, type (if there is a type) and contact info (or through PM, I guess the gym leader would specify which way he would like to be contacted). Inside the sub-forum would also be discussions of when the next pokemon league tournament would be, mini-tournaments, questions, applying to be a gym leader, etc.

Absolitude

Disaster in Absol clothing
Years
Well along with new things there should be a rule of law, and such. So shouldn't we have it that gym leaders swear on the holy mudkip that they won't insult the people they are battling with? Like having everyone sign-up for it like a club, but for it to be automated. So that when they sign up they have to sign that PC is not liable for anything that happens, and that they should try and be nice to each other. I really wouldn't like some kid cursing at me because my swampert pulled a massive k.o on his blaziken.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
Wow. This is amazing, I wish I could sya I thought of this before. I feel dumbfounded.

Anyways, if you need ideas on who to pick for the Elite 4 and "Champion" (Which I suggest there be none the first tiem around, and if there is a champion in the first rounds, then have them be the "champion" the next time around), then go talk to people in the strategies and movesets forum. They are skilled team builders and battlers. People such as Shanecdavis, Synch., Mullet and umm Aragornbird. Also, the idea of making the staff members the E4 would also be a good idea because then it would make it easier for us members to get through. ;P (Except for Aragorn, as he'd be the best battler of the staff members FWIK).

And yah, Absolitude, they only need to make threads and I guess a forum section to show the players, ranks, badges and whatnot. and of course the rules.

I would love to be a gym leader; however, I don't know how long it will be until I get a DS and Diamond/Pearl AND a Wifi connector. xD However, I have money, AND I AM WILLING TO USE EET! o.o"

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
I love this idea, I sooooooo love it.
There is so much that can be done, having badges in profiles, having more then one person per Gym (like Erica said, it might be a bit much), it'd be so good to have something like that on PC.
It would be sort of like an RP thing on PC yet an online battle thing.

But the thing is, some people on PC you wouldn't be able to beat. Some people play for EVs and whatever that stat thingy is. If they get on as a Gym or E4 then it'd be a stopping point for people. So as long as one of them aren't leaders (or as long as their team isn't trained that way) then it goes well.

Great great great idea. I'd love to see it put in on PC.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
There is so much that can be done, having badges in profiles, having more then one person per Gym (like Erica said, it might be a bit much), it'd be so good to have something like that on PC.
It would be sort of like an RP thing on PC yet an online battle thing.

Yes it is basically a mixture. It would be a lot of fun for people. Not only can they just randomly fight people, but they can try and achieve things and compete against others in a whole different way.

But the thing is, some people on PC you wouldn't be able to beat. Some people play for EVs and whatever that stat thingy is. If they get on as a Gym or E4 then it'd be a stopping point for people. So as long as one of them aren't leaders (or as long as their team isn't trained that way) then it goes well.

I am not an expert on EVs, but I know there is a limit. And I am sure if the leader makes the standard lvl 50, that would help and not make it to one-sided.

Great great great idea. I'd love to see it put in on PC.

Thanks and thank you guys who said it before as well :)

Morkula

Years
It might actually be better to do this with...
I can't believe I'm actually saying this...

Netbattle.
*washes mouth out with soap* XD

That way it would put everyone on a level playing field with EVs and such. Maybe have each League participant register a team that they will be challenging the gym leaders/E4 with, that way it can rely on a lot more strategy and such instead of having them load up, say, a team of 6 water Pokemon for the fire gym or something.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
It might actually be better to do this with...
I can't believe I'm actually saying this...

Netbattle.
*washes mouth out with soap* XD

That way it would put everyone on a level playing field with EVs and such. Maybe have each League participant register a team that they will be challenging the gym leaders/E4 with, that way it can rely on a lot more strategy and such instead of having them load up, say, a team of 6 water Pokemon for the fire gym or something.

Well, yeah that would level it out but I wouldn't support it. I support having it over DS because it would really get people more into the game. By having that, its a win-win situation because people get more into the forum and the game at the same time.

I think maybe it should be standard lvl 50s to even things out over the DS. (Unless the gym leader allows 100)

Morkula

Years
Problem is, a lot of the competitive battlers do EV training and stuff, which will put the more inexperienced players at a huge disadvantage. Plus it would be a lot more time with required breeding/raising to get good movesets and stuff.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
Problem is, a lot of the competitive battlers do EV training and stuff, which will put the more inexperienced players at a huge disadvantage. Plus it would be a lot more time with required breeding/raising to get good movesets and stuff.

I see what you are saying which is true, but I think to use netbattle should be a last resort. Here is a few things and suggestions I was thinking about EVs.

1. First off, no one here has Diamond and Pearl so maybe we should possibly try and see how much of an advantage people who concentrate on EVs have. If it is a problem, then we try other methods (which is below).

2. Try it and see how it works with a standard lvl 50. If there isn't a big advantage, then it just gives the other trainer a little bit to work on. After all, it isn't easy to become a pokemon master. If there is a clear advantage then there is another method.

3. If it is a problem, then that means there are a lot of of people who have use EVs, and a lot of people who don't. A league can be made for people who concentrate on EVs and a league for people who don't want to go that into it (or frankly don't even know what EVs are).

---

Just a few things to consider and try out. I know what you are saying, but I think that should be brought as a last resort. A lot of us are going to get the game AND play it online, and I think we should at least try it before we attempt something else before we give it a shot. :)

Melody

Banned
Years
Perhaps we could make a rule stating that A gym leader/champion/trainer cannot breed their moveset, cannot breed for natures, cannot use pokemon with stats above x
(the max in each stat category would vary based upon the pokemon

using hypothetical #'s to illustratte my point
EX: Swampert base attk:100
max attk with supporting nature and max stk evs:340
So a swampert's max attk would be 340-75=265
formula to calculate max stat for gym leaders & Champions & maybe players as well:Max(stat)w/Supporting nature+MaxEVs(stat)-(pokemonclass)
Ubers:-100
Standards:-75
Borderline:-50
underused/neverused:-25
This is the Tiers that smogon uses to classify pokemon types.
Link
Or we could just have a Pokemon league for every tier.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 13, 2007
Perhaps we could make a rule stating that A gym leader/champion/trainer cannot breed their moveset, cannot breed for natures, cannot use pokemon with stats above x
(the max in each stat category would vary based upon the pokemon

using hypothetical #'s to illustratte my point
EX: Swampert base attk:100
max attk with supporting nature and max stk evs:340
So a swampert's max attk would be 340-75=265
formula to calculate max stat for gym leaders & Champions & maybe players as well:Max(stat)w/Supporting nature+MaxEVs(stat)-(pokemonclass)
Ubers:-100
Standards:-75
Borderline:-50
underused/neverused:-25
This is the Tiers that smogon uses to classify pokemon types.
Link
Or we could just have a Pokemon league for every tier.

Possibly it can be some-what tweaked as talks about implementation come but I think that would help fix a possibly big problem that could arise.

Also, as for the "uber" pokemon, a rule would definitely have to be set about that. Possibly banning or only allowing users to have a maximum of one "uber" pokemon. I am also against the use of doubles.

Back