• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Special Anime Discussion #20: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

You've seen it now, what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

misty_moon

~Save the dub!
Years
  • Pokemon 10th Anniversary Special (Spoilers)

Wow... It's hard to believe the 10th anniversary of Pokemon is coming up! ^^;

I'm not really sure if this is old news to all of you or not, but yeah, it's supposedly set to air in the US next Saturday (April 29) on WB.

Here's Pokemon Palace's description of it:

http://pokemonpalace.net/?id=episode/s23

It looks like May and Max aren't in it... And I don't really see anything about Brock either...

But for some reason, Misty is in it.

It's unknown to me as why the character appearances and non-appearances are what they are; it's sort of hard to know without seeing the episode.

Years
  • You're right. May, Max, and Brock are nowhere to be seen in this weekend's special.

Should you order anything from PokemonCenter.com within the past 4 months, you'd recieve something called the Pokémon Fan mini-magazine. In the 2006 Spring issue, it describes the special with small details. The link you provided, misty_moon, is a direct quote from the magazine. That means May and Max won't appear.

I don't know how PokemonPalace.net knows that Team Rocket won't appear, either.

For some reason, Porfessor Oak wanted to bring only Ash and Misty along with him to see Dr. Yung. I'm guessing all the other guys were busy with something. Ash and Misty are experienced Trainers, but how that relates to Professor Oak bringing them is beyond me...

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Maybe Dr. Yung and/or Professor Oak only wanted to invite young experance trainers so considering Brock as old he/they wanted to just bring Ash and Misty along.

What? NO TEAM ROCKET? They been in almost everything so something is up. Still I am looking forward to watch the recording of the episode when I wake up.

The Special is looks good. What gets me is why are they showing this in the US first and not in Japan. On Serebii they have nothing on the speaial except for a small little summary but no pictues or Japanese title which means it has been shown in Japan. Also the 10th aniveristy is only I think big in Japan since Pokemon been out there for 10 years while it been here for only 8. So the only reason I can think of this speacil being shown is to test the new VAs. I don't care much for the new VAs but more on the Speacal itself.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well in my honest opinion sweeties, this seems really cool and interesting. X3
    This is the first episode of Pokémon that's produced outside of Japan, correct, sweeties? I hope it's actually good. =p XD But still seeing as though I'm a fanatatic, I'll still enjoy it.
    Sigh, no Team Rocket? Now where's the comic releif? XD

Here's some info, thank you Bulbapedia. ^^

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • Eh... what I want to know is why they made a pun off of Dr. Jung when he's a psychologist and has nothing to do with ressurrecting or creating life or whatever. XD *shrug*

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this. So I shall make a list of them. ^^

Things that make me feel good:

Misty. She IS my favorite character, even if it makes little sense for her to be there. I was thinking that perhaps she is just at the lab when Ash is there and Professor Oak invites her? Poor Tracey... always left in the dust to sweep the lab. -.-

Professor Oak. I like him. He always seems to capture my interest, so I've no problem with him being there.

No spoilers. Though I always read spoilers (teehee), there is a certain thrill when watching something without knowing a thing about it. ^^

Things that make me feel not-so-good:

The odd absence of May, Max, and Brock. This I don't get. How is it that Ash is there but not the others? I'm at a loss to see an explanation or think of one, so I hope one is provided in the special. Max and Brock I'm not too sad about, but I really enjoy watching May, and it's rare to see she and Misty interact.

Random legendary pokemon. I swear... what is it with the lame advertising of legendary pokemon. Seeing them so much makes them less cool. I know they're not real, that they're just 'mirages' or whatever, but still.... How does this guy even do this? I mean, the scientists that wanted to clone Mew too ages to do it, and if not for that hair of Mew, they wouldn't have gotten anything. How can this guy make all of these legendary pokemon unless he has a piece of them somehow? It just all seems so unlikely to me.

New dub voices. This has mixed feelings in itself. I don't want to hear voices that sound different. If they're better, yay I guess, but if they're not, then I'm not going to be happy. It's just wrong to replace the entire cast of a show when it's been on for so long. It's like if the Simpsons suddenly got new voices. o___O Still, if this whole voice change thing is indeed a rumor, I suppose we'll find out this weekend. I'll laugh my butt off though if it comes on and everyone still has the same voices. ^^

So, erm, yeah I don't know. I want to see it, and yet I don't want to see it. I just hope that the storyline is enough to keep me interested. If there are new voices though, I'll probably be so preoccupied listening to them that I miss half of the dialouge.

Years
  • You're going rather spoiler heavy here. You should edit your Thread title but I'll do it.

Either way, I like the novelty of being the first special for English viewers and finally acknowledging that fanbase. If only the voices weren't the real issue. Yep.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Yeah, I thought that the new voices were starting here......well, I suppose the sooner it happens, the sooner we can fix it/get used to it.

Light Azumarill, I'm with you, but I'll also be a bit ticked off.

misty_moon

~Save the dub!
    Years
  • Kurosaki said:
    I saw KWB's little 5 second advertisement for it on the weekend, and it appears to have Mewtwo in it in some form or another, so I'll watch it, XD

Yeah, it looks like Mewtwo and Mew are gonna be in it. (More spoilers. ^^; )

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    i hope something BAD happens to misty in the episode,when misty is not happy, im happy,also the special aired yesterday on tv tokyo in japan so at least some pokemon site must have spoilers,im gonna look,

poke lover

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • This makes me want to cry, here in Australia we have nothing to celebrate the 10th aniversary of Pokemon... Actually come to think of it, they finally realeased the Series 1 and 2 in a boxed set, yay.
    But i wish we had some sort of special episode go to air or something.

Years
  • Here we are; the 10th anniversary special episode. Of course for those who are aware, the episode is special for two reasons: One) being a source of controversy as it is the testing ground for the new simulacrum voice cast Pokemon USA will debut next season and Two) it is the first episode created exclusively for English audiences. It is a surprise considering how insular the producers have been with the English fanbase (such as the long time omission of the special episodes for example, although that has finally changed with the Pokemon Chronicles). So naturally the curiosity factor is running high all around.

Invitation: The initial act opens with the gang, as Ash reads off an invitation from a Dr. Yung concerning about his battle skill and getting a sampling of the new voices. Ash apparently has Mokuba Kaiba's second voice actor, May sounds like Taylor's but older, Max's is more generic, and Brock rounds off with a horrendous raspy voice (not dissimilar to Butch's), nowhere near Eric Stuart's "normal voicing" range.

The shift focuses with a pleasant surprise: the return of the series' narrator who left mid season six and finishes his monologue before we go to the opening theme.

Opening theme: Teen J-Pop is the closest thing applicable to this train wreck, and certainly doesn't have the 80's nostalgic charm that 4Kids' themes have. The lyrics make canon references but that is the only desirable thing is in this cacophony. It may be done by a J-Pop singer and all but that it isn't a blessing.

Re-introductions: We get further introductions as the gang meets up with Misty and Professor Oak and their voice samples (Oak with a particularly grating septuagenarian voice and Misty in a standard teenaged girl's voice, nothing quite bothersome yet) and Misty re-instating the rival theme (while it is implied they are rivals on occasion, it is never really said so blatantly as the series has a heated view on the rival theme) as the Japanese producer credits run by. Dr. Yung (a Chinese name? Let alone the fact it's an odd pun on famed psychologist Carl Jung which given the premise, has nothing to do with anything. Jung did dream analysis and the concept of the Archetype) introduces himself in a typical but harmless elder adult voice as the cast does (Max particularly shows off his higher but similar pitch to Ash's) and demonstrates his Mirage system in a display of CGI (with a particular well done scene of DNA and the animo acids that comprise it as the Fossils spliced in) and loud melodramatic scoring, with using the Kanto Fossils as his proof (a typical sign of to disprove disbelief with their appearance as they've been used in many scientific episodes and themes before). His monologue engages in the typical scientific banter albeit more of a refinement compared to other professors as the past (Oak, Birch, Elm, Namba).

In typical fashion he issues a friendly challenge and cuts into the scene. In an Easter egg of sorts, our Rocket trio appears to scheme and we got to sample their actors (Jessie, in an almost European accent or at least more of a husk than the haughty voice of Lillis. Meowth, in a high pitch and certainly not the gangster accent we all know and love, and James has the worst voice in the special and beating out Brock's voice, as incredible as that sounds. The actor sounds like a bombastic clown with none of Stuart's subtleties). More on this later but it does not bode well given the truth behind the scenes of the series (more so on me as a fan of James).

The Challenge: The match between Yung and Misty begins with Professor Oak refereeing (a perfunctory surprise given how Brock usually judge the matches, even when Oak is in attendance). The battle starts with in Kanto series battle music and her Staryu's patented Ultraman cry and proving that at least there is some consistency. Beyond that, the budget shows itself with the high colored human battle stance palettes and proves a good aesthetic. The match quickly ends with Yung's Aggron proving its power with a Mew in the background (yet not voiced by Kou'ichi Yamadera. Unless it's an upgraded actor as the 3rd AG movie has a different voice actor than Mew from reports) with attacks not natural to the Aggron like Bullet Seed and Thunder Wave (As RS TMs can't be allowed to acquire the moves) nor have Sandstorm used in such an offensive manner (it has been used defensively by James' Cacnea), or the Aggron itself as it is not weakened by the Bubblebeam. In the end, Yung reveals the secret of manipulation of the data to give his Mirage Pokemon any move he want regardless of mechanics (a jab at the gamers who do the same with Gamesharks) and certainly sets up the possibility of deus ex machina/impossible to defeat style Pokemon if the machine goes rogue.

Side Note 1: One positive note with the special is the use of proper silence interlaced which has been taboo to 4Kids, so the new dubbers at least have that in their corner.

Crash: As Ash and Yung begins their match, the system crashes and the plot shifts to its true form: a villain corrupting the system. A villain called the Mirage Master (I'll dub him the Master for the Dr. Who fans and I don't care to reiterate Mirage Master everywhere), who dresses in a similar fashion to Yu-Gi-Oh's Robotic Knight (seen in 3rd season of the Duel Monsters series) and has a deep vocal reverb. His army comprises of the Fossils and attacks but alas the Aerodactyls capture Yung which is a pity but just as well as his character was rather generic to start with. The heroes realize to escape the hexagonal field to clear of the army but a lapse in logic occurs as no one attempts to even stop the Aerodactyl from snaring Oak as Pikachu could have clearly help in some form (as seen by the Aerodactyl's instinctive dodge in far of the lighting bolt). The Master instills the army of Fossils with appropriate cries (yet Omastar's are surprisingly absent) and goes off and laughs manically and falling back on his masked villain megalomaniac archetype.

Side Note 2: I know people might comment on the Pokemon cries as part of the change but considering 4Kids themselves have changed the cries on occasion over the years, and since it's all repetitive, I'm not making much issue with it.

Trapped: The Master and Oak face off with the Professor guarded by Dark Pokemon (a trademark of the villains in the series) and dialoguing about Yung's fate (which is unknown or off camera at the moment) and the Master's true scheme: access to Oak's database. Oak then counters in an over the top melodramatic banter (and continuing his grating voice) as that Mew glances on.

Hatching a Plan: The gang scheme in the transition scene to acquire Officer Jenny's assistance with Brock going off on one of his female tangents (and showcasing his actor's "range" from over-the-top dramatic monologue to outright anger at Misty to overexcitement at Jenny, the closest to sound like an Ecchi/Hentai) before leaving to the rescue. It is a pleasant change of pace as to not having to worry about hearing him, however long. The others then sound off and showing the actors in a more comfortable role, such as May (although May's sounding rather too old for the character) and to some extent, Ash, whereas Misty's can't seem to show much range (one of Lillis' strengths).

The pace changes back to the Master in his diatribe of Pokemon and their flaws via weakness while Oak volleys in another melodramatic speech about the strength of diversity, individuality, and the omnipresent nature theme. The suspense of the Master's next machine as he demonstrates to Oak unfortunately is cut with the commercial break and rather cuts into the tensions.

Sneaky Like Ninjas: Misty and Ash infiltrate the castle via the lake since an aerial assault is rather impossible but it shows more the weaknesses of the system until they enter and find another Mirage sensor, in the meantime, Team Rocket also infiltrate the base (but how they did so is unexplained and no implication of the Rockets' patented burglary skills is made clear). Their voices continue to grate as Meowth's sounds more of a rat type character, and James' continues to annoy.

The security cameras caught them and the Master shows his dexterity with technology with the controller (in addition to his knowledge of a console in the prior interlude). Mew finally shows itself to the two intellectuals with the human friendly theme the series has given it as the Master shows another level of his characterization with his cruelty to the pink cat and his erudite parlance while Mew leaving dejected.

Old Times: As the twerps confront, the Rockets' staple, their motto is utilized. Using the new version, but without the delivery of Stuart, Lillis, and Blaustein, the charm is lost. Several interesting notes are Chimecho is omitted, but Manene isn't featured yet (of course I don't know when the pre-evo to Mr. Mime performs in the motto but it might be interesting to note for continuity purposes) and Wobbuffet has a high speed facsimile voice. The Mirage Pokemon show up and the Rockets' do their mini cowardice turns bravado shtick before we get the typical Rocket abuse and blasting off again.

Side Note 3: One surprising feature is how they have kept the dub terms this far in, instead of re-dubbing them. It's not negative or positive, rather a "just is" observation.

Side Note 4: Considering most of these Pokemon are ones we haven't seen in a while, it is a surprise anyone has not whipped out a Pokedex yet but given the fact they're constructs, perhaps it wouldn't do much difference.

Into the Maw: The Mirage Pokemon makes short work of Ash and Misty while Mew looks on in a typical plot device way (which is what Mew is). After the brouhaha being dragged away, the rat's electricity quickens the pace with property damage (how it could destroy a brick/mortar wall is anyone's guess) and it becomes the signal that Ash alluded to as May rushes off to the rescue while Max wistfully remains behind the scenes (which isn't typical of the headstrong young man) with another misplaced commercial break (Kids WB seems to be taking from TNT and CN as they are known for their poor commercial editing).

The Great Escape: Pikachu turns on the voltage and effectively damages the Mirage system and tries to escape but for naught as the Dark types overpower with an insanely powered Headbutt while not keeping itself in checking as it inadvertently caused the Machoke to drop Misty and plummet to her death. Obvious foreshadowing for later but still, make any murder jokes you like. All the while with a raucous score banging into the background, and makes the experience even more unpleasant. The Mirage Pokemon chooses to take Pikachu only and move the story. Yet they did not kidnap Ash as well, but lamentably that lack of rationale serves as a plot device to keep Ash free to undo the Master later on. The writers strike again.

Despite this, Mew then decides to intervene and revive Ash and examines Mew's difference from the other Mirage ones and how kinder and gentler it is. A falling beam alters the pace and in a moment of respite after that, Mew then becomes trapped in a Mirage sensor. Ash shows his trademark spirit and fights the sensor's force field while Mew shows its worry for the trainer. The scene finishes with a wonderful humorous parody of typical Lassie moments (perhaps not intentional but amusing nonetheless) as Mew "guides" Ash to the lab.

Passing the Torch: As Misty hangs on to dear life, she muses in an out of place sense of bravado with her Gym Leader status (she's prideful but she doesn't carry the role everywhere she goes) before falling as she's rescued by May (taking a rather peculiar turn at self depreciation. May is neurotic and doubtful of herself but that went away in the past season so why play up her negatively?).

Memories: The pace goes to the Master as he hooks up Pikachu to a memory extracting device in an extortionist stunt with oodles of melodrama delivery and we see a montage of the first series' major movie Legendaries (with the exception of Mewtwo but Mewtwo mindwiped Pikachu in the first movie) with a curious addition to Celebi's scene as Pikachu wasn't in the act when that scene first taken place but the intent is clear. And we see the continuity get more eschewed as the movies are a separate continuity from the series but this special seems to be rewriting its own continuity. Given the mechanic nature of the device, it certainly doesn't seem portable and rather appears built right into the laboratory as well as it being commonplace with the Master, expecting to use it. See Side Note 4.

Oak's actor (unfortunately at this point, the desire of wishing the dubbers could have picked a better actor as Oak clearly has a lot of dialogue in the special is running high but at least Brock and James' actor has departed, so becomes an issue of what is the lesser evil) continues to over dramatize himself as seen with the banter he says while his character retrieves the yellow rat as the Prof. gives in. Complete with a Red/Green reference, after all, they are the games that debuted 10 years ago. The Master descends into yet another melodramatic monologue about his deeper plans to infect other databases (with cameos by Tracey, Birch, Elm, and Nurse Joy) and hijack their data. At least the special gives a deeper look at the computer storage process behind the professors of the series if nothing else.

Of course one note on the Master's characterization is while he's melodramatic, he clearly not enjoying his work unlike past melodramatic villains of the series (Izumi/Shelly of Team Aqua immediately comes to mind) and that rather deters on the presentation.

Like before with the machine in the prior act, the suspense of the machine is further cut by the commercials but at least the Master elaborated on the device before the cut.

Side Note 5: At this point, the Master has overridden the special and Yung is still nowhere in sight so given the formulaic plot of these types of mysteries, it's highly possible he might be the Master plus the Master's technical knowledge of many of the doctor's machines as the series tends to focus on one talent per person with these types of filler characters. Or that the Master has been hiding in Yung's base all this time and learned Yung's techniques. But this is the half way mark but Yung's discernable absence might make the connection more likely.

Importance to Whom: The next scene transitions to Brock (it couldn't last forever) and his alerting Officer Jenny of the situation with a Freudian slip while Joy patches in with the same info and we sample the RPG parodies as Jenny sounds like Oak: an octogenarian while Joy has a deep husk, certainly not the honeyed voice as a nurse should have. The painful voices aside, the story keeps moving along.

Evolution: Mew and Ash arrive at the lab and the pace revs to full as the gang more or less reunites while the Master reveals the next phase of his scheme: the former Rocket bio-weapon, Mewtwo. With the exception of Ash, Misty, and Pikachu, no one else is aware of the bio weapon's existence but the Master did allude that he could hack into any database on Earth, it's possible he hacked into Team Rocket's but the implication is made clear that he acquired it from the rat's memory (of course the Master could have alluded to the Rockets as hardly anyone knows the Rockets' role in Mewtwo but it's clear the writer is drawing shock value rather than continuity, more so as this "Mewtwo" seems to be the a drone). The Master's cruelty is recalled as he orders Mewtwo to attack his hench Pokemon for no real reason other than to be cruel for cruel's sake.

As the next strike occurs, Oak surprises everyone with a Dragonite (while he had the time, it's been noted that Oak generally has lesser strength Pokemon, like his Pidgey from "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?" in the anime) and lashes back and then orders everyone to leave while Ash righteously asks of Dr. Yung, the first reference of him since his abduction. Oak ignores (or possibly implies something else) and they escape while the Master sneers on.

Side Note 6: Another positive for the special is the dialogue for the most part as Ash and the gang speak in juvenile wordings while the adults engage in more advanced wording (in Team Rocket's case, the overtly evil reference lessens the impact) and since writers (on both shores) do ignore that at times, I wanted to give the writer his due.

The Next Battlefield: The gang escape and we see Max again and his rather oddly written "go nuts" line before the Master strikes…with missiles scattering all over the forest while Oak clearly shows he has knowledge that no one else in or out of show possesses. The system activates while the gang stands slack jawed as the Master shows his true purpose: global domination as he shows off the other Legendaries from Pikachu's memories with Entei, Articuno, and Zapdos (while the birds simply hover, rather detriment to the animation there)

Surprisingly, Jessie (with her husk slowly approaching porn star level) and James didn't bow out and scheme on in the background as the camera pans out, even though throughout the special they have been useless as they are in the movies.

The Revelation: The Master cackles on with his plans and starting to enjoy himself (apparently the end result of his self proclaimed "hard work") as the score piercingly booms on again when Oak illuminates briefly dramatic irony and reveals the Master to be...Yung. Oak further explains how a Mirage sensor could assist in a deception by showing the Master while Yung was kidnapped but that isn't a telltale sign as more Oak pointing out the Master's "specimen" line to Mew as a scientist line and actual motive with "his hard work" line with revenge at the Pokemon Institute. The better query is why Oak didn't say that to the kids sooner or at least the writer attempt a form of dramatic irony via a backstory since their mystery is thinly disguised as they couldn't explain away his absence but this isn't the first time the series ruined potential like this. Oak then spat out the full story while achieving a diatribe tone as Yung's research showed what disrespect he had for the Pokemon with his technology (just as gamers don't show any by using cheat codes to get ahead to further the analogy) and rejected for it.

Side Note 7: Another sound issue is while they can score the beat right; their selections are either perfect or far too earsplitting and irritating and can't find proper range. It does get bothersome after an hour.

Clash: We get the final battle sequence as we see Pikachu, Combusken and Misty's Gyarados intervene against the pseudo elementals with a deafening score as the female owners fail to emote when giving their commands, however May's actor does improve her emoting as her Pokemon fails. Oak's Dragonite acts while "Mewtwo" stops the Hyper Beam in a send up image to Mewtwo's fountain on flamethrower scene from the first movie. The Rockets look on while

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield: In a sick send up, Mewtwo mutates his hand into an Arcanine's head and send up with a well done CGI Flamethrower on Oak and his fallen Dragonite while Pikachu tries to defend, to no avail. Before the final hit (the hand now looking like Rayquaza) arrives, the deus ex machina salvation is arrived properly by Mew as it defends and absorbed the blast. Unfortunately beyond the visual, there isn't much of the Mewtwo/Mew byplay that makes the concept so enriching, however, the pace shifts to an emotional one as Mewtwo seemingly vaporizes the pink powerhouse, the data being absorbed into the sensor (but one wouldn't get it from the quick cut the camera made, focusing on the cast than that). Rather distressing given the focus on the sentient program Pokemon but propers to Yung and his cold scientist disdain for such an aberration and showing more of characterization. Thankfully Yung does well as the evil scientist archetype since his cover was far too bland.

Ash's voice actor tries to emote as well as he could with Yung's crack but couldn't get the outburst needed for the indignation but does an interesting muted reaction.

Yung begins his final assault by merging the Legendaries (and the Mirage System) into Mewtwo, to the point of insanity, hence the now dubbed (by me) "Psycho Mewtwo" or Fusion Mewtwo with the various Pokemon. As it attacks, the trainers fight back but as the Pokemon comply in a vicious battle (which is a rarity and always a treat), Ash's voice actor can't sound excited enough, Misty's voice becomes a squeak, and May's sounds more comfortable. Alas the tide turns and the hiding Rockets pop out into the sky and their atrocious voices and their lines finally come to an end in the special. One note on the Rockets, that like their roles in the movies, they hardly had any use and the only possible purpose for them to be featured was to showcase their new voices and that's a great pity but at least we know what's in store with the shift in actors, however, either way, it does not bode well at all.

Side Note 8: Given how Fusion Mewtwo used mostly energy attacks, a Pokemon who could use Mirror Coat or even the occasional physical attacks with Counter would have done well here. Naturally, we can't expect a Pokemon like...Wobbuffet to be used properly for the battle and thus give the Rockets a use can we? Of course we've seen time and time again how Wobbuffet can be overpowered and here is no exception.

Denouement: After the commercial break, the trainers have fallen but Ash's fighting spirit (which actually does peak after Pikachu falls), doesn't let up in one final grasp for the deceased Mew but to no avail and as Psycho Mewtwo readies the denouement when Mew incorporates itself into Psycho Mewtwo in one last attack. Unlike past Mewtwo farings where the ending is laded with deus ex machina, Mew's sudden intervening here isn't as obnoxious and more a fitting climax (particularly if one pays attention to the system's absorption of Mew). The focus goes to Yung at his amazement to Oak and his far too obvious exposition of the events before us, but his sanctimonious vocals rather jars the impact. Ash reluctantly but realizing the truth, has to stop the Fusion Mewtwo and we're treated to the called impossible insane Volt Tackle (with the voice actor actually getting the sound of the excited utterance right).

We then see poor Mew being undone and looking wistfully happy it saved its new friends in a tender emotional scene which would be more gracious if it isn't for the shrill score. The system collapses and Oak berates the defeated Yung and the evil doctor schemes again before walking back to the ruins of his castle (yet no one stops him or reacts to stop/restrain him).

Side Note 9: Since Yung has revealed his range and shown the stock scientific manner and attitudes, it's possible the writer did that to play on the Archetype itself, particularly on the Self Concept given how selfish Oak claimed him to be. Some facts on Self Concept:

1. Because self-concept does not appear to be instinctive, but is a social product developed through experience, it possesses relatively boundless potential for development and actualization. (He's embittered because of his expulsion from the Institute)

2. Because of previous experiences and present perceptions, individuals may perceive themselves in ways different from the ways others see them. (The need to make the Master and attempt to use him properly)

3. Individuals perceive different aspects of themselves at different times with varying degrees of clarity. Therefore, inner focusing is a valuable tool for counseling. (The passion he has during and after revealing himself as the Master)

4. Any experience which is inconsistent with one's self-concept may be perceived as a threat, and the more of these experiences there are, the more rigidly self-concept is organized to maintain and protect itself. When a person is unable to get rid of perceived inconsistencies, emotional problems arise. (His views on Pokemon vs. the challenging views of the mainstream scientist such as Oak's, plus Mew's sentient behavior vs his copies)

5. Faulty thinking patterns, such as dichotomous reasoning (dividing everything in terms of opposites or extremes) or overgeneralizing (making sweeping conclusions based on little information) create negative interpretations of oneself. (See 3 and 4. But also his attack on the Dark Pokemon with Mewtwo with the former)

Self-concept is organized. Most researchers agree that self-concept has a generally stable quality that is characterized by orderliness and harmony. Each person maintains countless perceptions regarding one's personal existence, and each perception is orchestrated with all the others. It is this generally stable and organized quality of self-concept that gives consistency to the personality. This organized quality of self-concept has corollaries.

1. Self-concept requires consistency, stability, and tends to resist change. If self-concept changed readily, the individual would lack a consistent and dependable personality.
    The more central a particular belief is to one's self-concept, the more resistant one is to changing that belief. (His determination to cling to his belief, even risking his life with his entrance to the burning castle)

2. At the heart of self-concept is the self-as-doer, the "I," which is distinct from the self-as-object, the various "me's." This allows the person to reflect on past events, analyze present perceptions, and shape future experiences. (His theme and his selfish ambitions, he's a being of self.)

3. Perceived success and failure impact on self-concept. Failure in a highly regarded area lowers evaluations in all other areas as well. Success in a prized area raises evaluations in other seemingly unrelated areas. (His emphasis on "his years on hard work")

I know I'm psychoanalyzing the character but the special's design seem old hat and I need to take anything I can get and wonder why the writer attempted to make a possible Jung reference. Best I can do.

Remnants: The Global Police finally arrive and clean up the damage while Oak wonders for the deceased(?) Yung while Jenny (in a different voice, which is a nice reference to the entire different Jennies out there) explains they couldn't fit his body and leaving room for a sequel. The cast then muses on Mew's techno origins as Misty didn't think it could be living while Oak and Brock both righteously (but their respective actors again wreck the moment with their over the top deliveries, and in Oak's case, sanctimonious once again) elaborate out how some creatures gain a soul no matter what they are. While Ash wonders and his dialogue descends into poor Saturday TV sitcom writing as we fade out with the narrator engaging his monologue.

Voice Cast: Since the primary issue is the voice cast, Ash's seems more comfortable later on in the role and isn't as annoying as people feared but the actor needs to emote more to get the effect of the character but at least they gave him a more masculine voice (as opposed Taylor's girlish voice). May's while sounding too old is the only one most comfortable in the role and don't grate after an hour, while the rest….

Both Max's and Misty's are more generic and hardly have any range. Jessie's and Meowth's are acceptable but they don't have any nuance their predecessors have. Oak is one of the most exasperating but he won't be around much to do that but Brock and James? It's an insult to both their characters (both versions) and a major one to Eric Stuart and leave it at that.

Reflections: Despite the voice cast issues (which are plenty), the special does its share with nuance with Yung's character evolving (they need to perfect their mystery writing, however), Mew's original annoyance to an actual sympathetic character, Pacing not as slipshod as the normal fare, use of silence, and most of the dialogue is fitting and par for the course but the special falls apart to formulaic pacing and the dubbers' (despite the fact they had help from 4Kids' TAJ Productions and even one of the series' dub writers, Carter Cathbert) odd attempt with the aesthetics (i.e. the score, the opening theme and the occasional lines of dialogue/banter) needs work rather desperately.

Special: 6/10. For the attempt to address the English fanbase, it's not a bad way to kill an hour.

Voice Cast: 4/10. Ash and May is acceptable but the rest, no, just simply no. Either way, don't chide the fine people (except for Brock's, James', and Oak's VAs) voicing here, get Pokemon USA for their underhanded attempt to simulate the real thing with a proxy.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    They even seem to have replaced Pikachu, which is stupid since they were originally just keeping the Japanese VA. Max's replacement is the only one that can pull off the voice. May sounds like she's WAY older than the character really is. Brock... Dear god. I really miss Erica. It's like a bad dub of a dub. The worst voice so far is May's, there's just nothing right about it.

BTW, the opening is some really cheap pop rap crap.

misty_moon

~Save the dub!
    Years
  • Ugh. x.x Now I really want to see it to see the horrible dubbing. It comes on in about an hour for me.

... But I think that I'll have to record it 'cause I'm going to a con today.

But I'm also worried because it's storming here, and my satellite keeps going off. I hope that it'll stay on long enough to record Pokemon!

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • They even replaced Pikachu?? I seemed to notice it was a bit off, and I was wondering the same thing. Inever actually thought they'd do something THAT stupid though. *dies*

Imo, all the new voices SUCK. Misty doesn't sound as high-pitched, Ash sounds TOO high-pitched, Max lost all the umm..how can I explain it...nerdyness in his voice (XD). and Brock, well, I only heard a bit of Brock, but he is just...*overkill*

When I first turned on the tv they were in the middle of talking and when Ash said something I was like WHAT??? At first I thought it sounded a bit like Richie...I still don't know why though x__X;;;

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I watched it for a total of three minutes and turned it off.
    May sounds terrible, Ash sounds like he's in the middle of puberty, Brock is just...no, and Max's VA is the only decent one of them.

And what was with that opening? ><

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Kakashi and Sasuke Lover said:
    They even replaced Pikachu?? I seemed to notice it was a bit off, and I was wondering the same thing. Inever actually thought they'd do something THAT stupid though. *dies*

Imo, all the new voices SUCK. Misty doesn't sound as high-pitched, Ash sounds TOO high-pitched, Max lost all the umm..how can I explain it...nerdyness in his voice (XD). and Brock, well, I only heard a bit of Brock, but he is just...*overkill*

When I first turned on the tv they were in the middle of talking and when Ash said something I was like WHAT??? At first I thought it sounded a bit like Richie...I still don't know why though x__X;;;
    Yeah, Pikachu is a brand new voice as well. Also...They cast Luffy's VA as Ash! BASTARDS!

Yeah, this dub is horrible horrible horrible. Pokemon went from actually having one of the best dubs on TV at the moment to the worst. I'd even call this thing worse than the One Piece dub. May's VA is really the one I don't like the most, it's a good VA, but she just does not fit at all. I can't believe I was actually okay with Nintendo casting new voices. This is just...gah, I feel so bad for Eric and Veronica right now.

Back