• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Name Rater

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years

The Name Rater

Hello, everyone! Welcome to the official "Name Rater" thread! Are you looking for a place to share your Pokémon's nicknames? Would you like to hear other people's opinions on your nicknames? And are you willing to give other people your own opinions about their nicknames? If so, you have come to the right place! :D

(Huge thanks to Godshida for the idea!)

Thread Instructions

★ First off, the person above you will share any nickname for any Pokémon.

★ You will rate that nickname on a scale of 1 to 10 (decimals are allowed). It would be really helpful if you explain the reason(s) behind your rating!

★ After rating the nickname above you and explaining your reasons, it is YOUR turn to share a nickname at the end of your post.

★ You can choose any Pokémon you'd like, and give it any kind of nickname! Please share only one nickname at a time (per post).

★ The next person will rate your nickname, then share a nickname of their own, and the thread will rinse and repeat!

★ Remember, these nicknames are for Pokémon only! Also, please don't post anything too offensive or inappropriate. Have fun!

Miscellaneous Tips

★ The nicknames you share don't have to be real nicknames from your games! In other words, you're allowed to come up with a random name for any Pokémon, even if you've never owned that Pokémon!

Bolding or italicizing your nicknames can be very helpful to distinguish the nickname from the rest of your post. (Or you could use "quotation marks.")

★ It is encouraged that you explain the meaning behind your nicknames! This isn't required, but it can help other people understand and give more accurate/meaningful ratings.

★ Constructive criticism is encouraged in your ratings! Say what you like about the nickname above you. And if there's anything you don't like about the name, then feel free to explain that too. If you give a low rating, please be polite about it! Don't make rude comments such as "that's a stupid/crappy name" or anything along those lines.

★ If you like another poster's nickname (and their post is NOT the post above you), feel free to quote them and let them know that you like their nickname! However, even if you do this, you still must rate the nickname above you and share your own (in the same post), so be sure to organize your post accordingly.

★ Feel free to come back as often as you'd like! You can post here as much as you want, as long as you aren't breaking the double-post rule! This thread is also a Trivia game, so it's totally fine to post here even if you're not a serious nicknamer! (Heck, it's even okay to post here if you've quit playing Pokémon in general!)

Hopefully everything sounds straightforward! But if not, the examples below should give you an idea of how this thread works!

Examples

Example:
Person 1
My Swadloon is named Revise. I named it that because I see Swadloon as my personal Pokémon mascot, and "Revise" is a name I happen to go by quite often!

Person 2
At first, the name didn't sound too appealing, but I do like the reasoning you gave for it!
7.7/10

Hmm, I'm thinking Peachy sounds like a fitting name for my Pichu. Any thoughts on this?

Person 3
That sounds reeeally cute, but I don't think it suits Pichu too well, since peaches are fruits. Maybe you can give that name to a Grass-type!
6/10

Anyway, does the name Bubbles sound okay for Krabby? I don't actually have a Krabby, but I'm just posting in this thread for fun!

Person 4
I think that name has a nice ring to it, and it sure does fit Krabby!
9.5/10

My shiny Dratini is named Sven. I kinda just named it at random, so there's no real meaning behind it. Thoughts?

...and so on!

Alrighty, let us begin! There isn't a nickname for me to rate since this is the first post, so I'll just share a nickname to kick things off!

Any thoughts on Sparkles as a nickname for Pikachu? It was inspired by the anime!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
It does sound quite cool, but I associate Shadow more with ghosts and ninjas and Umbreon is neither, so... 6/10

My Crobat in named Dracula. What do you think?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
9.3/10 I like it and it reminds me of Axew. I also think Axel is a really cool name for a boy.

I once named a Ducklett Ducky. I thought it fit well, and I was watching The Land Before Time.

Meadow

Years
I think it fits well! There's nothing bad about the name, but maybe it does sound a tiny bit plain. I'll give it a 7/10!

I've got a Pidgey named Fluffogus! I mostly named it that because I thought it sounded cute and fluffy. :D

Shiny Dratini called Sven? pfft -100/10, not fiting at all.

Heh, glad you like it! :P

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Shiny Dratini called Sven? pfft -100/10, not fiting at all.

Uh oh...i need to go rename that shiny Dratini from White Treehollow now..... >XD

I think that's a perfect name for the fluff bird! 10/10!!

In a nuzlocke I did once, the name randomizer named my Donphan Egbert, which I find to be somewhat fitting...

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
Thanks for the credit, Meadow! :happy2:

Purrloin is one of those Pokemon I keep forgetting actually exist, but Primrose is a cool name for it, so for making Purrloin slightly less forgettable in my eyes this gets 7/10!

I always thought Chesnaught's design looked kind of Bigfoot-y, being bipedal and having those long arms, so for that reason I named mine Grassquatch.

Meadow

Years
I'm really liking the mythology reference there! It fits Aegislash amazingly well. 10/10

Just out of curiosity, how does Ash sound as a nickname for Pikachu?

Thanks for the credit, Meadow! :happy2:

Haha, no problem — I should be the one thanking you! This sounded like a really fun idea, and I would never have thought of it if you didn't bring it up!

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
I'd have started one myself if I wasn't so convinced that I'd find one! {XD}

5/10 for Ash the Pikachu. I don't really have an opinion on Pikachu. It's cute 'n' all, but I just catch them, box them and at the earliest opportunity Thunder Stone them for an extra page in the Pokedex. Mean, I know. :)

On the same game as Grassquatch the Chesnaught I've got a Vivillon which I named Westwood. Geddit?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
That's a very unique and surprising nickname. :)8/10.

I have a Trevenant that I have given the nickname Samuel. Named after the reassuredly forgetful Samuel Oak.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Haha! I like that. 8.5/10.

I once saw a guy named a Weedle Biff and do a solo run with it. It was pretty cool!

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
I'MA FIRIN' MAH LAZER! 8/10 {XD}

On my current AS game my nicknaming theme is Lord of the Rings, so my Gardevoir is called Galadriel. :)

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I don't know much about Lord of the Rings, but that's a pretty cool name! 8.5/10.

Let me tell you the story about Mr. Swimmy. Once upon a time there was a Tentacruel whose job was to surf. "He's adorable!" I said. "You're going to be the star of the sea when we go on adventures." Fast forward to a heated gym battle, literally. I send out Mr. Swimmy, who gladly sweeps the enemy team with ease. From there, he became the MVP in three regions. Today, he hangs out in Hoenn going on more adventures.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Beautiful would reccommend 9.999/10

once i used sandshrew as my starter in a game. I dont remember his name but a flipping starter sandshrew how amazing is that I have a game where I named all my Pokemon after friends, eiter their name or username on a site, and I think Eon the Kingdra is beautiful and fitting for her.(or Eons.)

Back