• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics School- ..:: Demidian's GIMP Homeroom ::..

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Hey Guys And Welcome To ...

qig.png

Hey guys, I'm Demidian and i'm going to be the teacher for the program class and design class, to introduce myself, i have been a gimp user for a very short time, around a month and a half, in my banners i like to use a fair bit of the tools in gimp, so it is important to know how to use them, and thats why I'm here to teach you.
    If you are new to gimp, it is a free image editing program created by GNU, it is similar to other programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Paint shop Pro.
    IMPORTANT READ THIS:
    YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE 2.4.2 VERSION OF GIMP BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY VERSION I HAVE USED AND HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT AT THIS LINK

Students:
    -Olumuyiwa Has dropped out of school Dx
    -Viper
    -azonic
    -Myokai
    -Ryoko Asakura
    -rowan95
    -~Hitsugaya~

Now don't worry, if you want to be a student just pm me or post here, and ill put you in.

Past Assignments:
    Current- Setting up GIMP

Click On An Assignment to go to it.

Assignment:

Now for you first assignment, we are going to set up gimp, with all the tabs to be able to access tools conveniently, so your going to have to pay attention.

Now before you do any of this, go to file > preferences > windows management then click reset saved window positions to default value.

Now Start up Gimp, and a TIP OF THE DAY box should pop up, you don't need that so uncheck the box where it says "Show next time GIMP starts".

Now Firstly, you should have 2 windows when you open Gimp, one will be a small window with all the tools and one will be this huge window with lots of stuff in it, close it and just click close all tabs when it asks you.

Now we're going to be creating dialogs, which are extra windows used to help you access things quicker,(at least thats my interpretation) now click file> dialogs> create new dock> Layer, Channels & Paths.

A window will pop up, now if you look closely in the window under the tabs, you will see a button with a left arrow, click it and go Add tab,you will be shown a list of tools only select Brushes, Patterns, Gradients, Tools, Tool Options. If it wont let you choose tool options,it should be in the main gimp window, just close the tool options in there and add it on to the other window.

You will also have a tab called Undo History,click it then click the left arrow button, and click close tab, because it is not necessary, since you can just use Ctrl+Z, Now go into the tools tab, and enable all the tools (by clicking on the EYE, a eye should pop-up there if its activated), and they should be in the main gimp window, so now you can access all the tools from there.

Finally, go to File > Preferences and click Window Management, and Save Window positions now, that will save the window positions as they are, so you can always access them, WARNING: if you close the layers channels etc, window you'll have to redo all the tabs, to avoid this always close gimp by the main window! Now restart gimp, and it will be like that every time you start it up.

Now I want you to Screen shot after you restart gimp with all the windows up to show me that you've done it right, either PM the screen shots to me or post them.

Well that's Today's Lesson, If you want to learn about anything specific, please tell me and i will put it as an assignment.

Phew, That was a lot of writing.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    ~Hitsugaya~;; YES THAT IS PERFECT!!!!! I GIVE YOU AN A (if that is possible, lol, im not sure if we have grades, either way YOU DID IT PERFECTLY!!!

azonic;; on your keyboard at the top above where the insert and delete button there will be print screen, press that, then go into a image program, paint or gimp, then right click and paste, then save it and voila :P, and the dialogs are i guess another name for the other windows, im too dumb to know all the technical name stuff xD.

EVERYBODY;; GUYS IF YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR JUST TELL ME AND ILL FIT IT IN TO AN ASSIGNMENT!!!

I will be starting the new assignment when i get at least one more person done,the rest of you, your BEHIND IN YOUR CLASS!!

Last edited:

Shadez

-
    Years
  • thanks for the grade :D

and also i think the best way to describe what dialogs are
    is other windows as you already said
    can't think of any other description :P

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Ok firstly you need to add these tabs to the layers window, Brushes, Patterns, Gradients, Tools, Tool Options, and close the undo history tab but great try ^^~

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
    Years
  • Uhm. This looks interesting, I just recently found GIMP and have been experimenting with it. I've already learned how to set it up, but if you wouldn't care I'd like to be a student. I think I could learn quite a bit here.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    I have been so INACTIVE, and im sorry to say that i have left the graphics school, seing as i have started school and i am in need of study alot of the time, hopefully soon i can get back on track and come back and teach :P, but i have recently got photoshop cs, and it is EUGH lol, but i have wasted my money on it so i will be using it, that is another setback to my returning of my Gimp class, but i still know alot about gimp and sure can teach when i have the time.
    And thats it....good day

Jack

Isom

Years
  • Well I'm only 14 so Photoshop seems like quite a lot to me (cost wise) haha. Anyways, Jack, whenever you have any freetime and just have the overwhelming urge to teach me some things then feel free to P.M or something....

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    @Isom: Well im 14 too :P, and yes it is a fairbit cost wise, but jsut pm me me if you ever need to know anything and ill be happy to help (if i have the time)

Isom

Years
  • Alright sounds good. Uhm though I do need help with one small thing well two actually but yeah, when I try to upload the baner or whatever it is. It shows eerything, but jpeg as the white box with a red x. It only shows me jpeg for some reason. Oh and how do I add text that looks cool to my sig? I've tried the logos but that opens a new window. Thanks if you help.

*Edit - I probably should have P.Med you with that hu? Sorry.

Back