• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Guilty Conscience

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 19 – Hilarious Haunter (Vs. Drowzee)

At the exact moment that Jake had fallen under attack by the Ditto, Johnny was walking down main street in Mahogany Town with a brown paper bag tucked under one arm, and a large, raw steak in the other. Xander led the way, gracefully trotting, while Rascal on the other hand merely walked by Johnny's side.

They were just coming back from the Poke mart, where Johnny had bought food to feed his Pokemon, along with a quick detour to McDonald's which was connected to the Poke mart.

The raw steak, he had bought for Rascal, whom Johnny had discovered wouldn't eat anything that couldn't be found on the African safari. This gave Johnny quite a thrill when he asked the cashier if he had any Girafarig meat, to which the cashier replied with a quizzical stare.

Johnny chuckled as he recalled the cashier's face. His recollection was short lived though as it was interrupted by a sharp scream from behind him, followed by: "He's got my purse!!"

Hearing that phrase one too many times, Johnny cringed and turned around to see a man in a dark sweater, and slacks running towards him, with a purse in hand.

Time slowed down to a crawl, as one thought passed through Johnny's mind. "What would Jake do," he whispered to himself as the thief closed the gap between them rapidly.

He glanced over at the abandoned store that he had stopped in front of, and spotted a discarded broomstick. Johnny set his groceries down, the plan still unfolding in his mind, and picked up the broomstick.

As the thief passed him, Johnny turned and hurled the stick at the back of his legs. The broomstick spun through the air like a , until it connected with soft flesh. Like a Monferno wrench that had been tossed into a machine, the thief had gotten the stick caught up in his legs. He came tumbling down to plant his face in the sidewalk, and groan in pain as blood began to trickle out of his nose.

A Haunter who had joined the crowd, pointed and began cackling at the fallen purse-snatcher.

The man rolled over and got up, "You think that's funny, do ya? Well, I'll give ya somethin' to laugh about! GO, Drowzee!!" He tossed out his Pokeball, and in a puff of smoke, a Drowzee appeared. He moved his hands around, in a hypnotic motion.

Haunter ignored the attempt at intimidation, as Johnny, Xander, and Rascal made their way through the gathering crowd.

The Haunter glided through the air gracefully as Johnny stepped out of the crowd, and drew out Slice's Pokeball. "Slice, GO! Use Metal Claw," he yelled, throwing the ball to the center of the invisible arena that was created by the perimeter of gawkers and onlookers. The ball opened into a puff of smoke allowing the form of a Scyther to come out of the ball. He took an offensive stance as he began the attack.

Slice's scythes hardened over with a coat of iron, and began to shine bright white. He uttered a battle cry and began sprinting at the opponent's Drowzee.

"Drowzee, use Confusion," the thief cried as the attack was about to fall. The Drozee acted quickly, as his eyes became encased in a light-blue aura. Slice's attack stopped in mid air and he stared into Drowzee's eyes. Suddenly he flew across the street into a nearby building, loudly crashing through the wall.

The black hole in the wall seemed empty for several seconds, until Johnny screamed "Slice!" As soon as the name left his mouth, a buzzing sound came from the hole. In a blur of speed, Slice tore out of the hole and flew at the Drowzee. His scythes hardened over, with the same coat of iron as before, as he attempted another Metal Claw attack.

Effortlessly, the Drowzee used Confusion to hurl him back in the direction he came from.
"Slice," Johnny cried. Slice stood up and growled. He looked around faintly and then fell.
Johnny felt a slight twinge at the back of his neck. He turned around and saw that the Drowzee was now targeting him.

The thief wore a malicious grin. "Your turn," he said.

Johnny wanted to fight back, but he knew that Xander and Abra were no match for Drowzee's Confusion attack.

Drowzee's eye began to glow again, but this time he was distracted by a small black sphere that had rolled up to his feet.

At the sight of this sphere, people began to scream and run away, as they noticed a short fuse that was burning.

Johnny became paralyzed by fear, as he realized they would all be killed in the explosion. His legs felt like jelly as he turned to run, causing him to stumble and fall. He rolled over just in time to see the fuse reach the bomb and fizzle out.

A flag that read "BANG" shot out of the hole where the fuse had been inserted, causing the Haunter (who hadn't even flinched) to laugh furiously. His horrid cackle carried throughout the streets and echoed off of the buildings.

"Why you…" the thief turned his glare toward the Haunter.

Haunter glanced up innocently and then phased out into nothingness.

Just as the thief looked around for the prankster, he reappeared right beside the thief's head. Haunter's tongue extended from his mouth and slapped onto the man's cheek, dragging across his face to the other cheek.

The thief began to shiver horribly, and fell to the ground. "Ahhhhh!"

Johnny slowly started to grin. His lips curved upward until they couldn't go any farther, and then he began to laugh. "That was awesome!" Johnny laughed loudly. The Haunter began to cackle along with Johnny until they were both on the ground clutching their sides.

"Is there a problem here?" A voice interrupted. "We got a report of a bomb."

Johnny looked up at a woman in grey Kevlar body armor. The name Jenny was printed clearly above her left chest pocket, and SWAT was printed above the right. Johnny began to laugh harder and pointed at the man who lay on the ground shivering. "That's… that's… that's him right there!" he shouted through uncontrollable fits of laughter. "And the funny part is… it wasn't even that funny!" he cried as tears began to roll down his cheeks.

"You and your Haunter need professional help…" she sighed as two of her male colleagues handcuffed the purse-snatcher.

"He's not even mine!" Johnny shouted as he wiped away tears. Finally the uncontrollable laughter was coming to an end, as the Haunter also began to settle down. Johnny chuckled slightly after seeing the look on the thief's face as he crumpled to the ground.

Johnny looked up, and saw that Rascal was gone. "Rascal? RASCAL!!" He looked at the Haunter who still hadn't left yet. Frantically, Johnny began to run down the street. Soon, he and Haunter had reached the edge of town with no sight of Rascal anywhere. "I've gotta find him, Haunter… will you help me?" Johnny said to the ghost-type.

Haunter looked at the ground and then at Johnny. He nodded and began to circle Johnny's head happily, and then reached into Johnny's pocket and pulled out an empty Pokeball.

At first, Johnny didn't get the message, but then he understood. Haunter wanted Johnny to catch him. He took a deep breath and took the ball from Haunter's outstretched hand. He lightly touched the ball to Haunter's forehead, and the ball sucked Haunter in automatically. There was no struggle, just the sound of the Pokeball sealing.

Johnny called him back out, and began running toward the Ice Cave where Jake was supposed to meet Red. Maybe Jake and Red can help me, Johnny thought to himself as they ran.
Suddenly he was stopped by a voice that called out. "Hey you!"
Johnny stopped and looked back to see a boy in his mid teens, walking up to him. He wore a black leather jacket, blue jeans and a white t-shirt. Aviator sunglasses covered his eyes making him seem a little bit older. "What's the rush?" he asked.

"I'm trying to find my friend's Luxray," Johnny said quickly.

The boy scratched his head and looked down the road. "I saw a Luxray come through here. A piece of his left ear was missing, and there was a scar down his left foreleg."

"That's him!"

"Alright. He went this way. By the way, my name is Jesse, Jesse James."

"Johnny Sl—erm Goode," Johnny stammered.

Together, they sprinted down the road in search of Rascal.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 20 – Back in Black
Jake shivered while Sabrina threw took out a syringe filled with a orange liquid and injected it into the ice. Soon the spot where she injected it began to rapidly melt away.

Jake's arms and hands were the first things to be free of the ice, which he flexed until he could feel them again. "Thank you." He said timidly.

"What were you doing out here?" She asked sternly as though she were his protector.

"I had gotten a message from Red to meet him here. Turns out it was just a setup by Team Rocket." Jake said, flexing his legs.

Sabrina looked up quickly. "Team Rocket? You must be mistaken."

"I saw 'em as plain as day, sweetheart." Jake replied in irritation.

"I'd know if they'd sent out an order to kill you."

Jake looked back at her. "Who gave the order?"

Sabrina stared into his cold-gray eyes, and sighed. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell you this."

"Tell me what?"

"Lt. Surge thinks that there's a splinter cell among us. They're radicals that want to turn Team Rocket into a full-scale army, instead of an organized crime syndicate. If they were to do this, the region would be reduced to chaos and then Team Rocket would lose profit." Sabrina looked away. "Do you understand what this means?"

Jake stared intently at her. "Yeah… it means Team Rocket is circling the drain, and you want me to stop it."

Sabrina nodded. She picked up a bag and tossed it to Jake.

Jake looked up from the bag at Sabrina and then back again. Reluctantly he opened it and was amazed at what he found. "You want the Mauville Kid to come out of retirement."

Sabrina smiled slyly. "That's exactly what I want."

Jake took out a mask, one that he hadn't worn for three years. It was solid black with eyes that (in Jake's opinion) resembled Spider-Man's eyes. Also included was a black t-shirt, a black pair of denim cargo pants, his two katanas and several other weapons employed by ninjas.

"Am I doin' this for free then," Jake asked.

"Of course not, You'll be fully compensated." Sabrina replied.

"Fine. I'll do it," Jake said.

"Good. Your first mission is to eliminate Venus. I don't care how, just do it. As a matter of fact, I have some evidence that links her to several murders in the Orre Region." Sabrina said, tossing Jake a plastic bag, that contained photos and a couple DVD recordings.

Jake carefully looked at it and threw it into the bag. "Will do," He replied, tipping his hat to Sabrina. Jake turned and walked away. As he started to leave, he heard the footsteps of a pokemon.

They were silent enough that anyone not trained in the way of the ninja would never hear them. Jake could barely hear them himself.

Jake grinned and whistled to which a deep resonating growl came as a reply.

"C'mon out Rascal," Jake called to him.

The Luxray approached Jake with a mischievous grin, as if to say "Welcome back."

Jake returned the grin and stroked the lion Pokemon's mane. "Let's go."

======================================================

Lake Of Rage
An Hour Later

Venus stood in the motor pool of the secret base. The base itself had taken months to design and build. It was a shame to have to watch it go to waste, but it was a necessary sacrifice, in the event that the Mauville Kid found them.

"Hurry up with those crates," She shouted to two grunts who'd been arguing about the contents of the crate. "If we don't get out of here quick, he'll find us!"

A nearby crane was loading one of the larger crates onto the truck, when suddenly a silver blur shot out from the shadows and severed the wire that connected the hook to the winch. The crate dropped from the air and crashed open allowing several hundred different parts to go flying everywhere.

Venus grumbled to herself, not noticing the silver blur. She sauntered over to the mess and picked up the severed wire. "A clean cut? Someone… sound the…" She stopped after feeling something cold and sharp gingerly press against her throat.

"Lady Venus I presume." A dark and cold voice whispered into her ear.

All of the workers had stopped and were now watching the figure that she couldn't see.

"I understand you are an excellent sword fighter." The voice whispered.

"Yes, I am," she replied, her confidence restored, "and you are no match for me."

The sharp blade left her throat and she was allowed to turn around. "Of course not, that's why you try to kill me psychologically and physically when I'm unprepared, and unprotected." The dark voice replied from under his skin-tight black mask. Suddenly he threw her one of his katana and took up a defensive stance. "This time, it's between you and me… no Pokemon. Let our blades do the fighting."

She grinned wickedly at her foe. "You'll die this time Kid."

She swung the blade through the air, and was denied by the Kid's blade. He was faster than she had thought, and more agile and skilled than the clumsy oaf that she had met in the ice cave back towards Blackthorn City.

It seemed as though when he put the mask on, there was a different mentality altogether.

Venus attacked several times, and each attack was parried by the Kid. Suddenly the Kid swung out at her. Time slowed down as the blade opened a thin red line on her left arm.

Blood began to slowly run from the shallow cut as time returned to its normal pace. There was no pain, but she became angered at the fact that this brat had the audacity to cut her, to challenge her in her own base of operations, and to cut her.

Her pace quickened and she began to swing faster and harder at her foe, but to no avail as he still seemed to have agility and speed to spare.

"Damn you!" She finally screeched. What was wrong with her?! No one intimidated her like he was doing now. She took one final swing and managed so create a long gash across his chest, but it wasn't fatal as the attack failed to penetrate the sternum.

The Kid looked down at his chest, and then up at her. Venus could just imagine the mocking grin under that black mask.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you meant to do that." He replied.

Even his voice sounded like the corners of his lips were curling upward.

"I'll kill you!" She screeched lunging at him, but was stopped by a black combat boot to the stomach. In one fluid motion, he took her arms and rolled on his back, using his leverage to his advantage, and launching her in the direction he rolled. She hit the metal floor and dropped the katana.

The Kid approached her with his blade pointed at her.

Venus scuttled back, still facing him, knowing that she would die now.

"Where is Broken Sword," he growled in his cold voice.

"I don't know. He was employed by my master, that doesn't mean I know every move he makes," Venus replied, now seeming unsure of herself.

The Kid looked back at the massing crowd. "I've called the police already." As soon as he said it, sirens could be heard from down the road.

The grunts began to scatter as moving vans started to rev up and speed out of the motor pool, leaving boxes and crates lying on the floor.

The Kid looked back and saw that Venus was trying to slink away. "Not you," he said taking out a rope as the last of the grunts fled. "I've arranged a meeting for you with the police." He tied her to a nearby support column and through a plastic bag at her feet. Picking up the katana that Venus had dropped, he sheathed it and walked away.

"Wait! I know who you are! I'll tell the police and you'll do time just like me!" She screamed.

The Kid unsheathed his katana and held it under her chin. "Know this: I can find you any time and any where. Think about that before you spill your guts." He turned and walked away.

As he walked away, he was joined by his Luxray and they disappeared into the forest outside of the base.

Johnny and Jesse hurried out of the ice caves. "JAKE!" Johnny shouted, but was only answered by his own echo.

Suddenly Jake's PokeGear began to ring with the caller id reading "Private Number".

Johnny answered it and in a flustered tone said, "Hello?!"

Jake's voice on the other line seemed happy as usual. "Hey Johnny, where ya at boy? As soon as I got back, Rascal 'n' me decided to go to McDonald's!"

Johnny hung his head and sighed. "Am I in trouble?"

"For what? Rascal's a free spirit. I can't get people to watch after him. I left him to watch after you, and apparently he did a good job. Now why don't you and your new friends come on back to the gym and have some Mickey D's?"

Johnny smiled slightly. "Okay Jake."

Jake grinned as he hung up the PokeGear, and looked down from the tree branch he was standing, that had a perfect view of Johnny, and his two new friends.

He dialed the number to McDonald's

"Hi, I'd like three quarter pounders, and three medium soft drinks delivered to Mahogany Gym please."

When he heard the price, he smiled and replied, "Thank you very much and I'll meet your delivery boy at the door."

Jake turned and hopped out of the tree, and began running as fast as he could to Mahogany Town, with Rascal right by his side.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 21 – Absolute Powers

Jake sat quietly at the table eating, while Johnny and Jesse ate their food. Johnny's new addition to his party seemed happy and healthy, but it was a puzzle to Jake as to why the Haunter had been running through the streets of Mahogany without being caught by the police.

I just don't get it…

Jesse looked up at Jake and swallowed a mouthful of food. "Jake, I suppose it's time I told you why I'm really here. I've come to challenge you. If I win, you'll be my seventh badge."

Jake looked up from his quarter pounder. "Don't expect me to go easy just because you helped Johnny look for Rascal."

"I'd expect nothing of the kind." Jesse replied.

"Then it's settled. Tomorrow I'll have the gym set up for a match," Jake answered. He stood up and looked at the clock. "Johnny, it's time you got to bed." He looked at Jesse, "As for you, I recommend a good night's sleep also."

Soon Jesse and Johnny were sound asleep in their cots, while Jake sat at his desk, looking at the screen of his computer. He picked up the phone and dialed several digits and soon the other end began to ring.

"Hhhhello," answered the voice on the other end. It was Falkner's voice, and he sounded like he had been asleep before Jake called.

"Hey, Falkner. Listen, I've got somethin' for ya. I've never seen anything like it before." Jake looked down at a chrome object that he had picked up in the Team Rocket warehouse just before his fight with Venus.

Falkner rubbed his eyes and looked at his own laptop screen on the other end. "Neither have I. Hang on, while I make a call." The screen went blank and there was a silence on the phone. Soon Falkner's face reappeared on the screen along with another face. "Jake, this is Bill. He invented the time machine system and is now working on an item transporter system. He's familiar with most tech."

Bill smiled and looked at the image of the item that Jake had sent him. "It looks like a photo receptor. Like a camera lens but this is for an A.I."

Jake looked at the piece. "Like a robot?"

"Exactly."

"So do we know who made it," Jake asked.

"Most likely Powers Inc. Ross Powers supplies the Orre, Johto, and Kanto Region militaries with state of the art weapons and artificially intelligent security systems," Falkner added.

Hmmm… I think I'll pay him a visit tomorrow. Jake thought to himself as the other two started to talk about Powers' history as a weapons manufacturer.

After he had gotten off of the phone with Bill and Falkner, Jake lay awake, thinking. Team Rocket was fighting Team Rocket, Ross Powers was most likely supplying them weapons, and now he was marked for death by possibly three different men, with different agendas.

Ross Powers sat down at his desk and sipped his coffee, as the sun was just coming over the peak of Mt. Silver. He quietly sipped, watching the sunrise from his office window in GoldenrodCity.

The sound of something falling on his desk, made him wheel his chair around to see a masked figure standing before him. "I'd like to know what that is," the figure spoke in a dark and intimidating voice.

Ross picked up the object and examined it. "It looks like a piece from one of my RONIN. Where did you get this?"

"Picked it up in MahoganyTown last night. What is a Ronin?"

Ross felt around the bottom of his desk.

The masked figure held up another object into the golden sunlight. "Looking for this?"

Now that he could see it, Ross knew he wouldn't be calling his guards for help. "Alright… the Ronin is a new top secret piece of weaponry, which I'm designing for the military. RONIN stands for Robotic Offensive Neural Interface Network. It's an artificially intelligent robot, with the capability to use a Pokemon's electrical attacks, along with water in the event that it comes against a rock-type. A platoon of Ronin are controlled by a psychic commander, and sent in as an offensive against the enemy, also preventing the loss of human life."

The figure looked down at the desk. "How many prototypes are there?"

"At least one whole platoon. I had planned on distributing them to the police in order to test them, but now I'll have to put the project on hold until I can find the leak in my organization." Ross explained. "I'm holding a demonstration for the military today, if you decide you want to come."

The figure looked at Ross. "No… I have important business to attend to today. I'll send an acquaintance of mine instead. He's the Mahogany Town Gym Leader."

"Very well. Inform him that I'll have a helicopter waiting for him." Ross replied.

Jake and Rascal stood in front of the gym waiting for the helicopter to arrive for a little over twenty minutes, before Jake was confronted by Jesse.

"I thought we had a gym battle for today!"

Jake looked at the disgruntled face that belonged to Jesse James. "We do. I'll be back at six tonight, and that's when we'll battle. Until then, I have a meeting with the CEO and owner of Powers Inc." He adjusted the uncomfortable duffle bag that he had brought with him.

Jesse grunted slightly and walked away in a huff.

Just as he disappeared, a helicopter appeared over the tree line, and came to a stop above the gym. It moved forward slowly until it was above the gym's courtyard. It descended until both skids were firmly on the ground.

Jake hated all manner of aircraft. He trusted a flying-type Pokemon more than he did an aircraft. His hands began to shake uncontrollably as he and Rascal stepped into the helicopter, and were strapped in.

Jake took his hat off as he noticed Ross Powers' daughter, Elektra on the other side of the helicopter. "Hello, Jake," she said. Her voice was barely audible over the helicopter's engine. "My father sent me to bring you to OlivineCity."

Not long after they had arrived in OlivineCity, Jake found himself in a grassy knoll, watching the Johto military prepare for the demonstration.

Ross Powers stepped out onto the "stage" and picked up a microphone. "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen," He said addressing the police and military. "While the final preparations are made, allow me to introduce a guest spectator among you. His father served as a Colonel in the Army and died in the line of duty as a police officer. I'm pleased to present Jake Brooks!"

Jake's heart skipped a beat when his name was mentioned.

"I invited him here today to observe his father's and my legacy, in order to make the world a better place. Today, Jake Brooks Sr. and my dream will come true with the first platoon of Ronin to walk off of the assembly line. No longer will young soldiers die needlessly when we have automated soldiers to do the job for us. Today I will demonstrate the power of this marvel of machinery."

Jake looked down at the crowd and saw something that made him try to hide behind one of the military officers. Ben Cane was looking back at him with a less than pleased look.

Jake stared straight down as thirteen ronin, and one uniformed soldier marched in perfect ranks onto the stage.

"I am Lieutenant Banks, and I will be your demonstrator for this afternoon. The Ronin is a highly advanced soldier that can take a beating and still perform the task at hand. Today, I've lined up three rock-type Pokemon, to fight this platoon. Now remember that these Ronin have not had the Water Gun attack programmed into their system yet, so they can only use their electric-type attacks."

Lieutenant Banks stood toward the back and began to concentrate. It was apparent that he was psychic. Suddenly the Ronin began to move. "Commander, we have thee Tyranitar approaching our twenty. Suspected, enemy scouts in the area."

The lead Ronin stepped forward and acknowledged his subordinate. "Roger, Sergeant. Sergeants 01 and 06 prepare to take offensive action. Deploy your units for reconnaissance, and scouting."

The Sergeants took five Ronin each and began to move off into the preset arena. It wasn't long before the Ronin had regrouped in the center, now surrounded by the three Tyranitar. The Tyranitar closed in for the kill, and were stopped by a wave of electricity.

Jake stared intently, watching the battle unfold. It's an electromagnetic field, Jake thought to himself as the Tyranitar were thrown back by the force field. He had seen Lt. Surge's Magneton do the same thing several years before… It was mainly the reason why Jake owed his life to Team Rocket, or at least one of their leaders.

Four Years Ago
VermillionCity

Jake lay on the floor of the Team Rocket warehouse, bleeding to death. An explosion that came from a Dragonaire's Hyper Beam caused the building to collapse, slinging shrapnel everywhere including Jake's left shoulder.

He watched helplessly as the grunts drug his Luxray to safety but left him for dead. Suddenly the building began to collapse. Jake's eyes widened as a piece of the roof came down to the floor. Covering his face and shutting his eyes, he waited for death, but strangely… it never came.

Jake looked up and saw three Magneton hovering above him. An electromagnetic field was keeping the collapsed roof at bay, while a thin, but muscular blond man gave Jake his gloved hand. "C'mon! Take my hand, and let's get outta here!" He commanded. "If you don't you'll die!"

Jake extended his right hand and was pulled out of the wreckage by the soldier looking type. Jake blacked out.

Later he found out that a "Dragon Master" named Lance had thought it wise to fire a seemingly random shot into the heart of VermillionCity, which destroyed most of the city's infrastructure, including the Team Rocket warehouse where he was being held captive.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing here??" Ben snapped at Jake, who in turn snapped out of his trance.

All of the military and police officers had gone down to inspect the damage done to the Ronin. The Tyranitar had been defeated by the Ronin and were now being healed by Nurse Joy.

"Powers invited me. He said he had something to show me." Jake lied through his teeth. He couldn't tell Ben the truth about how he was really invited. Three years earlier, Ben had been assigned to capture the Mauville Kid, but Jake was always one step ahead of Ben.

"I heard about the Mauville Kid incident at the Lake Of Rage yesterday," Ben said, as if reading Jake's mind.

"Yeah… they say he got the woman who tried to kill me in the IceCave yesterday morning…" Jake finished for him.

Ben raised an eyebrow, but thought better not to ask about the woman. Jake wouldn't have given him a straight answer.

They were approached by a man with a long and shiny sword attached to his belt. He was trailed by a Growlithe.

"Jake, this is Captain Shimada of the Johto Rangers. He's heading up the Mauville Kid investigations," Ben said.

Jake stared at the lean and clean cut officer. The Johto Rangers weren't fans of the Mauville Kid either. The somewhat recent founding of the law enforcement division, had been a shock to Jake, but he remained one step ahead of them, along with the police, Team Rocket, and Ben Cane.

Shimada himself seemed to have a personal vendetta against the Kid, for reasons unknown to Jake.

"I'm Jake Brooks." Jake said extending his hand to the young officer.

"Kambei Shimada. Your father was a good man, and a good soldier." He replied.

After Shimada had left, Jake sat on the bleachers, and stared down at the empty field.

Ben slapped a hand on his shoulder and smiled slightly. "Your father really was a good man."

Jake looked up at Ben. "Y'know… six years'll make ya forget a lot about people. I had completely forgotten that my dad was a soldier."

"Yeah…" Ben returned the sorrowful glance, "…but you shouldn't have to remember your dad as a soldier. You should remember him as your dad."

Jake smiled. "Thanks Ben."

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 22 – The Egg
Olivine Pokemon Center

Jake walked into the Pokemon Center, his mind racing with the thought of cyber soldiers on the loose. As he stepped into his room (which was the same one as the last time he'd stayed here), he sensed the presence of someone else in his room. Suddenly a cold blade came into contact with his throat, and he froze.

"You're coming with me, kid."

==========================================================

"They say you're a ninja for hire. What do you say?" Captain Shimada said as his new prisoner struggled against the tightened ropes.

"I say that I'm a ninja for hire, but I don't kill people," Jake replied.

Shimada let himself laugh heartily. "You think I brought you in here because I thought you're an assassin?? No. Look at your surroundings boy, you're not in a jail cell, you're in a warehouse. I brought you here, because you and I could become good business partners."

Jake raised an eyebrow. "How?"

"I give you money, supplies and Pokemon, and all I ask of you is that you perform the tasks I give you. Otherwise, I turn you in and get a nice bonus in my paycheck," Shimada replied. "You see, sometimes you have to go beyond following the book to get the criminals put behind bars. I think you and I could do it, without getting caught. I'll tell the police you've become a vigilante, and will catch you as soon as possible, and you can do whatever you want."

Jake looked down at the floor, and then back at Shimada. "I'll do it. You pay me whatever you want. You have to promise me one thing though."

Shimada ran a hand over his slightly bald head. "Name it."

"Don't tell Ben who I really am. I know you two are close, but don't tell him. He's been trying to nail the Mauville Kid, ever since he was a Captain."

Shimada smiled. "You have my word." Shimada drew his sword and cut the ropes that bond Jake to the chair, and then he handed him a folder. "Here is your first assignment. She's a Pokemon Ranger who's been undercover for six months. She thinks her identity has been compromised, and the Pokemon Rangers want us to bring her in."

Jake looked up at Shimada. "Why come to you for help? Why not the police?"

"The Pokemon Rangers think the police are all corrupt. They almost wouldn't even come to us. I've given her the place and time to meet you, but the word is that Team Rocket knows about the meeting already. Get there before they do."

Jake allowed a half smirk to play across his face. "Can I have a badge?"

Shimada frowned slightly. "Not on your life."

===========================================================

The city of Olivine was quiet at night. The only sounds that broke the silence were the fast-paced taps of high-heeled shoes on the concrete sidewalk.

On a nearby rooftop, a black silhouette painted against the full moon watched as a young girl ran down the clean sidewalks, cradling something in her arms. She stopped, kicked off her high-heels and began running again. "Somebody help me," she screamed as she ran.

Soon after the girl passed, a group of men now ran by. "Nobody's gonna save you now! Give us back the egg and we might letcha live!"

Meanwhile, on the rooftop, the Mauville Kid looked down at his cobalt blue companion. "I don't think that's quite fair. Do you?"

The Luxray looked up at the Kid and growled his acknowledgement.

"Let's do somethin' about it then, partner," the Kid replied. He turned and walked away from the roofs edge, and stopped, pulling out a pokeball. "Kadabra, use Teleport," the Kid commanded as he took a hold of Kadabra's hand, and Rascal's fur.

The Kadabra teleported them down to street level with a flash of light. The Kid began running after the group of men, with Kadabra hovering behind, and Rascal running beside him.

After five minutes of running, the silence of the night was shattered by a piercing scream.

The Kid's heart began to race, as he started to fear that he was too late. When he reached the source of the scream, he found her lying on the ground, surrounded by four men.

"Give us back the egg you little thief," one of the men shouted. "You'll be sorry!"

The Kid stepped forward, and spoke in a cold tone. "It always seems to take more than one, doesn't it?"

One of the men looked back, "this is none of your affair. Get lost, you masked freak!"

The Kid drew both of his katana and pointed them at the men. "I'm making it my affair!" He stepped closer, which caused two of the men to slightly shy away.

One man drew a long knife, and grabbed the girl, who let out a yelp. "What are you going to do now boy? You see, I hate good Samaritans. They get on my nerves when they meddle in someone else's business."

"It's my business now…" He looked at Kadabra who nodded, and disappeared in a flash of light. He reappeared next to the man and girl, and grabbed the girl's leg, with a smirk, he and the girl disappeared, leaving the man with an armful of nothing.

"You little…," he shouted, throwing the knife at the Kid who merely dodged the thrown knife.

The Kid stepped forward and knocked the man down with a hard kick to the chest.

Grunting, the man fell backward and hit his head on the alley's brick wall.

The other three men stared at their fallen comrade for a moment and then looked up at the Kid. "You'll pay for that you little bastard!"

The Kid grabbed a man who began charging at him, and fell back letting his leverage do the hard work.

Jumping back up, another man met with the Kid's fist, and the final man caught the Kid's boot in the stomach.

The thugs stared in horror as their path was blocked by the Kid, but not for long.

The Kid turned around to see Kadabra, and the frightened girl standing behind him. The Kid began to walk toward them, as one of the thugs reached into his pocket.

"Watch out," the girl shrieked as a blade came flying at the Kid's.

He dropped to one knee, and drew a shuriken from his pocket. Turning, the Kid threw the shuriken at the man, and smiled with satisfaction as the star buried itself into his arm.

The Kid winced as he stood up. He took Kadabra's hand, Rascal's fur, and motioned for the girl to take Kadabra's other hand.

"Kadabra, use Teleport."

Kadabra teleported them to the Olivine Pokemon Center, which was pitch black now that it was so late at night.

The Kid pulled his mask off and hobbled to the back of the Pokemon Center, with the girl following close behind. "Who are you," She asked finally.

"I'm Jake Brooks. I'm your pick-up. The Johto Rangers sent me to get you out of there," Jake explained as he began to take things off of the shelves such as gauze, antibiotics, and a jar of aspirin.

"Take off your pants," the girl commanded.

"What??"

"Just do it. I have medical training," she replied.

Jake pulled the knife out of the back of his leg, wincing as it came out. He slowly unbuttoned his pants, and took them off, revealing cyan boxers.

"Get on the table, belly down."

"My, you're forceful. Ever treated any stab wounds before?" Jake tried to make light of the fact that he felt naked in the presence of a lady.

"A few. Mostly to Pokemon who've been in battle with Sneasel though…"

Jake grimaced while she treated the wound. "Your bedside manner is terrible."

"I'm not trying to make you comfortable, just make sure the wound isn't infected."

Jake looked back at her. "Is it?"

"I don't know. We'll know when they decide to amputate your leg won't we," she replied sarcastically.

"So what's your name?"

"Silvia Anders."

Jake smiled slightly. "How old are you?"

"Twenty now shut up. You're distracting me." She sewed up the wound and wrapped it in gauze. "There. All better."

Jake got off of the operating table, and pulled his pants up. "So you like seafood?"

"Yes. Why are you asking so many questions?"

"Just curious."

"What's that pokemon?" Jake gestured to the egg that the girl had been carrying.

"That's a Pichu. When I had been told that I was being pulled out of my cover, I decided to take this Pichu with me. Team Rocket isn't a place for baby Pokemon." She looked sorrowful for a minute. "I wish I could have taken them all," Silvia said softly as tears began to stream down her cheeks.

Jake took her in his arms and embraced her for what seemed an eternity. He knew what it was like, to feel like there was more that should've been done. He had felt that way when his father died.

"He needs a good trainer to take care of him, and love him. Maybe you could take him? I would, but being a Pokemon Ranger, the poor thing just wouldn't fit in."

Jake smiled. "Sure, I'll take him, on two conditions. One: you take my Kadabra. Two: you let me buy you dinner."

She smiled weakly and hugged him. "You have a deal."

"Lemme get up to my room, and I'll be with ya directly," Jake said excitedly. He turned and hurried out of the room.

When he reached his room on the second story, he picked up the phone, and called Captain Shimada.

When Shimada's answering machine beeped, Jake began babbling. "Ummm, yeah, Kambei? This is Jake. I got the girl, but you're not gonna get her tonight. I don't think it's safe, so, I'm gonna feed her, and tuck her in, and then I'll bring her over tomorrow. Okay? Bye."

Jake pushed "End" and began washing up for dinner.

bruom

Wee! Holidays! I'll get a Wii!
Years
sorry for inactivity, too much school work =0, but thats another story for another day...

well, the fic is still very good, but i think you got away of how it was in the start, with ninjas, ronins and all, theres nothing much about pokemon... or maybe theres a surprise after all of this? who knows ;] i like how youre revealing things little by little, it makes the story more interesting... mysteryous...

one thing that i didnt like is that there arent pokemon battles anymore, well, just a few of them... try to put more on the pokemon trainer side than on the ninjas, police and army battles...

hope you dont get me wrong, its still good, im just giving my opinion about what could change =]

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Oh, there'll be more about pokemon battles. i just wanted to get the point across that there are bad people in the world. reeeally bad people. and jake's gotta cope with that fact.

the ninja thing is a little over the top, i know, but i'm a fan of Naruto, so i just had to put that in there.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 23 – A Harsh Wake Up Call
Jake stepped out of the shower, and took a towel out of the closet. Rascal had disappeared somewhere, and Silvia was quietly waiting downstairs, or so Jake thought.

The reality was that Silvia was standing right behind him as he got dressed.

"Jake, I'm really sorry…" she said as something came into contact with his head at a high rate of speed.

Jake clumsily sprawled out onto the floor and looked up.

"The Pokemon Rangers want you back in Mahogany. I hope you understand."

Jake blinked once, and then fell unconscious.

=====================================================

The phone rang as Kambei stretched and got out of bed. Quickly he picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Who the hell are you to be commissioning my gym leaders to do your dirty work," came the disgruntled greeting.

"…and you must be Blaire- I mean Claire. How do you do?" Kambei yawned and stood up, as she began her rant.

"Jake Brooks is supposed to be in Mahogany Town conducting gym battles and giving gym badges to those he deems worthy. Instead he's retrieving Pokemon Rangers that should have been retrieved by you."

Kambei sat back on his bed, and put his shoes on. "I suppose he called you or something."

"No. I have close contacts with the Pokemon Rangers, and so I called in a favor, and had them escort him back to Mahogany to finish up a battle that should have started two days ago! And another thing, his 'License To Kill' is permanently revoked!"

"If that was an attempt at humor, then you need to say that in the mirror three times before you use it in public. I am an officer of the law, and commissioned the help of a gym leader to conduct a simple task. Ten years ago no one would have complained, but today I guess it's a different story. Jake is not only—" The phone began to beep, as Kambei got another call. "Hang on a sec…" He put her on hold and answered the other line. "Hello?"

"Kambei, its Sheila."

Kambei nodded as though she could see him.

"I need you down at the station now. A scientist has come forward from Powers Industries. He wants to talk to you."

Kambei nodded again and hung up.

"Oops." He said nonchalantly as though he had unintentionally forgotten that Claire was on the other line.

At the Police Station, he met a scientist named Phillip Rhodes.

"Dr. Rhodes, you wanted to speak with me," he said as Rhodes and Sheila approached him.

"Yes. I came to warn you people about the Ronin."

"Please Doctor, I've honestly heard all I wanna hear about those damn robots," Kambei groaned.

"But you don't understand. Those aren't robots."

Kambei looked at him with a distasteful look. "Then what are they? Kitchen appliances?"

"No. They're Pokemon," the doctor replied as he adjusted his glasses. "They think like Pokemon, and they act like pokemon. Like the Porygon, they cannot mate, yet they can evolve through upgrades, and can be healed like a Porygon would."

"Why did you call them Ronin," Kambei asked now taking interest in the conversation.

"A small form of rebellion in my own way. In ancient Japan, the Ronin were samurai without masters and fought under a common banner. It reflects my belief that Pokemon shouldn't serve man, but fight along side man, for understanding. Pokemon trainers these days don't seem to get that. Though, there are a few exceptions. The Mahogany Gym leader's prowess is only rivaled by the top trainers in Johto, yet he battles with honor, and respects his Pokemon."

"That he does," Kambei replied. Another question entered into his mind as the doctor began to leave. "Why did you tell me this, if not even your boss knows?"

"I told you because my boss intends to sell them to Team Rocket. If the Ronin fall into the hands of Team Rocket, they'll become like other Pokemon in their employ; nothing more than test subjects, and minions."

Jake groaned as he opened his eyes, and saw the familiar room around him.

"Hey Jake," Johnny said, as he threw Jake's hat at him. "You must've had a lotta fun in Olivine. A girl dressed up like a cop brought you home, and dumped you on the doorstep."

"Whaddya mean 'dressed like'?"

"Oh, she insisted that she was a cop, but I could see right through that disguise," Johnny announced happily.

"And how would you know about that?"
Johnny's glee was toned down a bit by the question. "Umm… I don't. At least… I've never been arrested before, if that's what you mean. Oh, and the cop lady, left you an egg."

"Never mind. Where's James?" Jake stood up and walked out of the office, and into the gym itself.

"Right here," He called at the other side of the gym. "I've been waiting for you. Or are you gonna put me off for another two days?"

A little bit of the color returned to Jake's face as he grabbed a pokeball off of his belt. "A challenge is a challenge." He tossed out the pokeball, and watched as it hit the ground and cracked open slightly. "Cole!"

Jesse grinned as he let out his Pokemon. "Let's go Zorro!" A Ninetales stepped out from behind him, and growled at Cole.

Jake looked at his Quilava, then at the Ninetales. "A fire-type eh? A stalemate."

Without the command of Jesse, Zorro ran at Cole. Seething hot flames were released from his mouth as he jumped high into the air.

"Cole, use Roll Out!"

Cole nodded, and leapt high, balling himself up and hitting the ground. He became a large wheel intent on running the Ninetales into the ground. Ninetales tried to dodge it but was slammed into by the Quilava.

Zorro stood up, and growled.

"Zorro, use Fire Spin! Keep 'em contained," Jesse ordered.

Zorro opened his mouth once again, and allowed flames to spray all around the arena.

Jake shook his head slowly. "Cole, use Dig!"

With that, Cole fiercely began digging a hole, until he was completely gone. A few minutes of complete silence except for the crackle of flames, and then Cole reappeared behind Ninetales.

"Look out!"

Too late.

Cole smashed into the unsuspecting Ninetales with great force.

Ninetales went down and then stood up again. An angry growl rumbled deep down in his throat.

Cole and Zorro stared each other down waiting for the other to make his move.

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 24 – Gym Leader Jake Wants To Battle! (Vs. Machoke)

Jake smiled slyly as the battle raged on. Cole had undergone training that none of Jake's Pokemon except for Rascal had gone through. He was now an endurance fighter. Cole could take hit after hit after hit… or at least that's what he was doing.

Finally, after receiving several repeated Fire Spins and Crunch attacks, Cole was tiring out.

"Flare Blitz," Jessie commanded. Zorro encased himself in flame, and then charged at Cole. There was no way Cole could escape.

With that, Cole went down with the impact. Zorro stood triumphantly over Cole's limp form.

Jake ran to Cole and picked him up. "You did good, partner." Jake smiled, and ran a hand through his black fur.

He looked up and saw a young man sitting in the corner of the arena, watching the battle. The young man nodded, and looked at Ninetales.

"Alright." Jake set Cole down in a safe place. Taking out a pokeball, he looked at his opponent. "We're not givin' up that easily. Lucario! Take 'em down," he called throwing out the pokeball.

Lucario glared at the nine-tailed fox and growled.

Ninetales' lips curled back and revealed his canine fangs as the skin along his snout wrinkled.

"Lucario, use Aura Sphere!" Lucario formed a blue sphere in his paws.

Zorro began to prowl along an invisible line that formed a circle around Lucario.

In response, Lucario did the same to Zorro. As Ninetales attack came, he was perfectly lined up with the exit of the building. Zorro leapt into the air.

Lucario quickly released his attack. The blue sphere collided with the Ninetales and sent him sailing right out of the front door of the gym, and into the street.

"Zorro!" Jesse ran to his aide, where he lay.

Zorro whimpered.

"It's okay buddy," Jessie replied. He returned him to his pokeball, and looked up at Jake, who now stood in the middle of the street. "Your Lucario only beat him because he was weak from battling your Quilava."

Jake smiled slightly. "If you think it was a fluke, then let's try it again." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his young spectator step out into the street to watch the rest of the battle.

"Fine. Macho, go!" He threw out a pokeball which released a Machoke. "Macho, use Focus Punch!"

Machoke began to focus his energy and strength.

"Lucario, use Aura Sphere!"

Lucario also began focusing his energy. Another blue sphere formed in his paws, as he began to attack.

Quickly, Lucario released his attack. The blue sphere launched from his paws, and connected just under Machoke's chin, throwing flat on his back.

As Lucario charged up for another Aura Sphere attack, Machoke lunged at him and landed a gloved fist right under Lucario's cheek bone.

"Heh, heh… that's Macho's Sucker Punch," Jessie said through a toothy grin. "It comes just before the opponent's next attack. Now, Macho, use Thunder Punch!"

"Lucario, Thunder Punch!"

Lucario's fist met with Macho's fist resulting in an explosive draw, which sent dust from the street into a cloud all around them.

"How typical, a stalemate," Jake said with a hint of arrogance.

"Guess again. Macho, use Seismic Toss," Jessie called.

Within a second, Lucario was propelled out of the dust, smashing into Jake as he landed sending them both reeling.

When they finally came to a stop, Jake helped Lucario to his feet. "You okay, Lucario?"

With no response Lucario's knees wobbled and then gave out.

Jake pulled out a pokeball, and returned him. "Sit tight, and we'll get you fixed up in no time.

As the dust cleared, Jake looked up at Jesse who wore a grin from ear to ear. "Clever… drawing him in like that."

"It would appear that you're down to your last Pokemon."

"Maybe so, but you'll find this 'last one' to be far from least," Jake replied looking at the door, his eyes meeting with the gleaming gold and red eyes of his most trusted, and closest Pokemon, who was now standing in the street.

Jake came to stand by Rascal's side, and looked down at him.

Rascal stared at Jake for a moment and then looked at Jessie's Machoke.

"Rascal, that Machoke just used Seismic Toss on Lucario. Return the favor," Jake said calmly.

"One of the newly discovered Pokemon eh? This should be interesting."

Ignoring the comment, Rascal's fangs began to spark, and glow. Suddenly, he charged the opponent catching the unfortunate Machoke off guard, and latched on to his arm.

Machoke cried out in pain, as his aggressor released an electric charge into him using fangs as conductors.

"What attack is that," Jesse cried, pulling out his Pokedex.

"This is not a known attack," the Pokedex's automated voice droned at him.

"It's called Thunder Fang. It goes with the territory of being a newly discovered Pokemon. Rascal first used it on me, by accident, when I was eight years old," Jake explained. "Over the years it's proven to be a useful technique."

"Clever… using an attack nobody's ever seen before," Jessie growled, mocking Jake's earlier statement.

"You'll also find, that Machoke isn't escaping from that death grip anytime soon. Once his jaws are locked, Rascal's pretty much as bad as a Croconaw," Jake added.

"I see… well then, use Seismic Toss!"

"Rascal, use Thunderbolt!"

Machoke screamed once again, as Rascal released a more concentrated charge of electricity into his body. He lifted his arm into the air, Rascal dangling, and slammed his arm into the ground.

Rascal, seeing the danger, let go of the Machoke's arm, and put a fair amount of distance in between them.

"That's it Rascal. Keep out of his reach," Jake yelled, cheering the Luxray on.

The Machoke, now angered by Rascal's attacks lunged at him; his arms wide open in order to grasp him.

"Rascal, that's a Submission attack! Get outta the way!"

Rascal moved out of arm's reach, leaving the Machoke to grapple with nothing, but in a strange twist, the Machoke reached out and grabbed Rascal's tail.

Jake stared for a moment, and then slapped a palm over his face. "Oh damn, he shouldn'ta done that…"

Rascal looked back at the Machoke, who felt harmless now as fire blazed in the Luxray's eye's.

"He's finished…" Jake said to himself as the battle began to unfold.

A bolt of lightning descended from the sky, and struck the Luxray, which passed through his body into the Machoke, which sent him flying back, into the outer wall of the Mahogany Gym.

"Macho," Jesse cried. Slowly, he pulled out Macho's pokeball, and returned the barbecued Pokemon. Without hesitation, he quickly pulled out his final Pokemon's pokeball. "Volt, go!" He called, throwing out his final pokeball. It opened to reveal a Jolteon, who merely sneered at Rascal.

The two electric-types stared each other down, not knowing what to expect from the other.

=====================================================

Goldenrod City

Ross Powers stared out at the peak of Mt. Silver, and mulled things over in his mind. The Mauville Kid and the Mahogany Gym Leader were close acquaintances, which meant that anything the Kid knew, the gym leader knew as well. Ross couldn't allow that.

He looked back at the two females sitting on the opposite side of the desk.

"So you'll do it then," Ross asked, turning away from the picturesque view of the mountain.

"For the right price," one of the two twins said with a smile.

Ross returned the smile, and was somehow comforted by it. "I'm a businessman, ladies," he said taking out his pocketbook. "Name your price."

"You have… connections with the Pokemon Association. People you can bribe or threaten," One of the twins said.

"We want you to use these connections to make us the joint gym leaders of Mahogany Town, after we take care of the current gym leader, of course," the other finished.

"So, all you want in exchange for ridding me of the Mahogany Gym Leader, is to be his replacement," Ross said leaning back in his cushy leather chair.

"In a crude manner of putting it, yes."

"Ladies, you have a deal."

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 25 – Assault on Blackthorn City (Vs. Jolteon)
Volt made the first move with lightning quick speed. Nimbly he leapt to the nearest rooftop, and with equal speed Rascal followed.

"Rascal, take 'em down with Take Down!"

Rascal nodded and charged his foe, tackling him to the ground.

"Volt! Alright, use Dig," Jessie called.

Volt dove into the ground; much like Cole had done in the gym, and was lost in a cloud of dust.

"Jake! There's a call for you," came Johnny's voice from the front door, "it's Claire! She says it's super urgent!" Johnny tossed Jake the Pokegear, and Jake looked into the screen at Claire's calm and commanding face.

"Jake, we've just had an attack here by Team Rocket. I'm about to confront them, but I need someone to help the citizens evacuate," she said in calm but firm tone.

Jake looked up at Jessie and Johnny. "Jessie, c'mere."

Jessie came forward, and stopped less than a foot away from Jake. "What is it?"

"Blackthorn's just come under attack, and I'm gonna need some help. If you back me up, there'll be a gym badge in it for ya. Go to the Pokemon Center, and heal your Pokemon. If you have a Pokemon that can fly, then get it. Johnny get your Scyther."

Suddenly the mystery guest from inside the gym appeared at Jake's side. "What can I do to help?"

Jake stared for a moment at the boy. "Are your Pokemon any good at battling?"

The boy nodded and then held out his hand. "I'm Kiyu Lancer."

Jake returned the nod, and shook his hand. "This is Jesse James, Johnny Slade, and I'm Jake Brooks."

"Well, now we're all acquainted, I think we should get started," Kiyu said calmly.

"I think you're right. Jesse, when you're done at the Pokemon Center, meet us in Blackthorn. We don't have time to wait," Jake ordered firmly. "And tell Nurse Joy to wait outside the Pokemon Center for me. I have two Pokemon for her to heal!"

Johnny called out Slice. "Ready," he announced.

"Lancer, you'd better ride along with me," Jake said as he called out his Rapidash, and pulling Kiyu up behind him.

They left for the Pokemon Center where Jake gave Nurse Joy, Cole and Lucario to look after while he was gone. Then they started off.
On their way to the Ice Cave, they passed a girl and a boy hurrying to the Ice Cave as well. They both seemed strangely familiar but Jake couldn't quite place where he'd seen either of them.

Kiyu tapped Jake's shoulder. "Those are my friends. I came to the Johto Region with them."

Looking back at Kiyu, Jake frowned. "If they wanna join the fight, they're gonna have to hurry up."

When they reached the Ice Cave, Jake patted the side of Rapidash's neck. "Use Bounce!"

Rapidash bounced high into the air, and landed on top of the Ice Cave. "Alright! Let's go," Jake called to Johnny who was following closely with his Scyther, and Rascal running along side Rapidash.

When they reached the city, they found chaos and mayhem. People ran through the streets chased by wild Pokemon, yet there wasn't a Team Rocket member to be found.

As Jake and Kiyu slid off of Rapidash's back, the three boys were ambushed by a party of Skarmory.

"Rascal, use Shock Wave!"

Rascal jumped in the air; centering himself in the middle of the flock, he released a wave of electricity. The Skarmory all hit the ground with a series of metallic thuds, but began to get up again.

"C'mon. That Shock Wave stunned 'em but it didn't put 'em out. We'd best head for the gym and look for Claire," Jake said as he started toward the northernmost part of the city.

Jake led the trio to the gym, where they found a massive hole where the door should have been.

"Who could've done this," Kiyu asked aloud as they entered through the gaping hole.

"Anybody… I've seen things… Jake do you think…" Johnny stammered.

Jake shook his head. "No, it wasn't him. If he'd wanted us, he'd have come straight to us to kill us. I reckon that sneaky bastard is waiting for a more opportune moment. This was Team Rocket."

Kiyu looked at the boulder which was used to open the gym. "There are others than Team Rocket. Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Galactic, professional assassins… like Johnny said: it could've been anybody."

"Lancer, you and Johnny go help the civilians evacuate. I'm going up to the dragon's den to see if Claire is up there."

Kiyu nodded and turned to leave, but was stopped as Jake grabbed his arm.

"If the boy gets hurt in any way, I'll kill you," Jake said. His cold grey eyes had the look of death in them.

"No harm will come to the boy. I promise," Kiyu replied solemnly.

As they left, Jake and Rascal proceeded up the mountain. Wild Pokemon became more frequent as they neared the dragon's den.

"This is gettin' too weird. I don't think I've ever seen wild Pokemon rampaging like this before," Jake said to Rascal.

Finally reaching the cave, Jake approached the entrance.

As they entered, they could see a group of dragon-type Pokemon gathering around Claire, who was tied to a wooden post. Behind her was a man holding a device.

"Yes! Devour her, my pretties! Feast on your master and become my servants,"

Jake ran around the pool to get closer to the dragon master and her rebellious Pokemon.

"Hey! Why don't you pick on somebody your own size," Jake called to the dragons.

With a fierce glare they all turned to look at him.

"Erm, that is to say why don't you find s-somebody else to eat. I mean other than Claire of course since she's your friend an' all…" Jake paused for a minute. "Damn, how do I get into these messes?"

The man at the back simply laughed. "So, you must be the dimwitted cowboy with the mesmerizing string of good luck. Several of my colleagues have tried to kill you only to fail. Now it's my turn at the plate, and I must say your luck has run out." With a wicked grin, he looked at the dragons. "The cowboy's an appetizer. Divide him amongst yourselves."

"Awe, hell… c'mon now guys. You wouldn't eat one of your master's subordinates would ya," Jake said, taking several steps back.

The massive dragons drew nearer, as Jake reached for two Pokeballs.

"Alright boys, you asked for it. Sampson, Rapidash, c'mon out!"

The dragons made their move just as Jake's remaining three Pokemon did the same.

"Rascal, use Thunder on Gyarados ,Kingdra and Altaria! Sampson, lock and load. Use Rock Throw on Charizard, and Rapidash use Flare Blitz on Altaria!"

Together all three Pokemon attacked as Jake slowly slipped out of sight.

Rascal's Thunder attack didn't do a great deal of damage as it was divided between three different Pokemon, but it did keep them busy while Jake snuck around behind the man.

"I didn't catch your name," Jake said calmly.

Quickly the man whirled around to see Jake standing four feet behind him. "That's because I didn't give it. You may call me Mercury. My colleagues call me Mercury the Messenger of Death."

"What do ya say you put that toy down and we settle this like men," Jake said taking an offensive stance.

Mercury set the device down next to Claire's unconscious form and then took an equally offensive stance. "If you wish to go hand to hand with me, you're in for a world of hurt."

Jake smiled. "I was counting on that."

Back