• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Guilty Conscience

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Avenger

Okie dokie, this is a revamp of a fanfic I did in October. Constructive criticism is very welcome.
I also thought I'd better give a litte table of contents like thing. Mostly for my own benefit. (NP) = Not Posted

Volume 1

Ch1.-Like Father, Like Son (Vs. Luxray)
Ch2.-The Would-Be Champion (Vs. Golem)
Ch3.-Pokemon Center Heist (Vs. Machamp)
Ch4.-Enter Billy and Bonnie: The Rocket Duo (Vs. Umbreon)
Ch5.-Assasination's the Name of the Game (Vs. Kadabra)
Ch6.-Wanted: The Master Thief (Vs. Abra)
Ch7.-In Harm's Way: Broken Sword Strikes (Vs. Garchomp)
Ch8.-Slice and Dice! (Vs. Scyther)
Ch9.-When We First Met (Vs. Luxray)
Ch10.-A Chance Meeting (Vs. Lucario)
Ch11.-Gym Membership (Vs. ???)

Volume 2

Ch12.-Day 1: To Cherrygrove and Beyond (Vs. Skarmory)
Ch13.-Day 2: Violet City Violence (Vs. Umbreon & Espeon)
Ch14.-Day 3: Ecruteak, The Final Stretch (Vs. Gengar)
Ch15.-Everything Or Nothing, The Gym Leader Aptitude Test (Vs. Charizard)
Ch16.-Master and Student, A Joyous reunion! (Vs. Arbok)
Ch17.-Red's Message! (Vs. Ditto)
Ch18.-Venus: The Lady of Ice (Vs. Jynx)
Ch19.-Hilarious Haunter (Vs. Haunter)

Volume 3
Ch20.-Back in Black
Ch21.-Absolute Powers (Vs. Ronin)
Ch22.-The Egg (Vs. Egg) <-- umm... since it really was all about an egg... so... yeah...
Ch23.-A Harsh Wake Up Call (Vs. Ninetales)
Ch24.-Gym Leader Jake Wants To Battle (Vs. Machoke)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 - Like Father, Like Son

A man in his early thirties stood looking out at the water, he wore a brown cowboy hat, a heavy jacket, and brown slacks. To his right stood his friend and fellow officer Ben Cane, and to his left a boy about six years old lay in the snow, making snow angels. His name was Jacob Brooks

"We'll be moving to the Hoenn Region in May." The man said to Ben.

"Someday you'll explain all this to little Jake right?" Ben asked

"Yeah, I will." Replied Jake's father. "Jake. Let's go home, I've got your Christmas present and I'll give it to you now if you promise to be good."

Little Jake's eyes became the size of quarters. "Whatizzit, Whatizzit? I'll be good," he said as he jumped up and down like he was on springs.

"Alright, here it is." He handed Jake a small ball shaped object in wrapping paper.

Unwrapping it Jake could clearly see that it was a pokeball. He pushed a little white button in the center, causing it to open up. Red light shone from inside the ball as a Pokemon appeared in front of him. It was a bluish-purple catlike Pokemon, and Jake knew exactly what it was. "Oh, wow a
Shinx!!" Jake shouted with obvious joy.

"His name's Rascal, he's followed me home the last three nights, and so last night I caught him for you." Jake's father said with a smile as he took his hat off and put it on Jake's head, which slid down below his eyes.

Jake tilted it back so he could see and smiled back at his father. "Rascal an' me are gonna be champions, Daddy and nothing will stand in our way."

==============================================================================================

Standing on the deck of the S.S. Aqua, Jake Brooks stared into the great white void that enveloped the ship and the city they were pulling into. It was seven in the morning and the fog was just clearing, as the ship slid through the harbor with out hardly a sound, and slowly made its way into the port where Jake would get off and meet an old friend.

Jake was 16 years old, wasn't slender yet he wasn't fat, but average more or less, and wore a blue jean jacket, a white t-shirt, blue jean pants, steel toe construction boots, and a brown cowboy hat.

As the ship's crewman let down the ramp, Jake slung his olive green duffle bag over his shoulder and started down the ramp to dry land. It's been ten years, Jake thought to himself, as he eyed the town that lay before him. His father had been a detective here at that time, but (for reasons unknown to Jake) decided to leave Olivine City. Finally after thirty minutes had passed, a voice from behind said: "I'm sorry Mr. Brooks, but you're loitering. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Jake whirled around to see a man with slightly graying hair, a brown suit, and a badge clipped to his belt that read "Olivine Police".

With a grin Jake asked "And if I don't?"

"I'll have to haul you downtown." The officer replied, also grinning.

After a long silence Jake walked up to the officer and said, "How are you Uncle Ben." as he stretched out his hand to the older man.

"Pretty good. And your self?"

"The years haven't been kind." Jake said thinking about his father.

"I was sorry to hear about Big Jake." Ben said taking Jake's duffle bag, "He was a good cop, and a good friend."

"Well now that I'm here let's get down to business," Jake snapped out of his sorrow and into work mode, "you said that you needed my help."

"You've no doubt heard the news lately," Ben started.

"Yeah, crimes involving theft in the Johto Region are going up."

"Right, and we need a trainer at the Pokemon League conference at Indigo Plateau who's working for the good guys." Ben finished Jake's sentence.

"Why though?" asked Jake in a puzzled way.

"We believe they're planning to hit all trainers who enter the Pokemon League tournament." Ben said as they walked into the Pokemon Center.

"Nurse Joy this is my good friend Jake, and he hails all the way from Mauville City in the Hoenn Region, and I was wondering if you could let him spend the night here in the Pokemon Center."

"Of course Chief Cane, we could let him stay here with us." Nurse Joy said with a warm smile.

"How come I can't stay at your place Ben?" Jake asked.

"I'm going to be out of town meeting with the other Chiefs of Police in the Johto Region for the next three days. Four days from now you better be ready to work, because were going to New Bark Town to get you registered for the Johto League."

"Hey Ben," Jake said just as Ben was about to leave, "why me?"

Ben smiled an old man's smile, "Because I thought you needed an excuse to challenge the Johto League."

After Ben left, Nurse Joy showed Jake to his room, "You'll sleep here for the night." She said to him with yet another warm smile.

Nurse Joy left the room and Jake began unpacking his bag. The contents included: a week's worth of clothes, a plate, fork, knife, spoon, and various other items. As he made sure everything was there he also made sure to shake the bag out. "Huh?" Jake said as a small black box about the size of a Nintendo DS fell onto the bed. Inside was one badge in the top left corner of the box, with a label under it that said Violet City.
Jake went down stairs to Nurse Joy with the box. "Can I use your phone?"

"Of course, it's for public use." She said with out looking at him.

On the phone to the Olivine Police station, Jake listened to an automated voice prompt, while dialing the appropriate numbers. "Olivine Police Department, can I help you sir?" Jake looked up to see Officer Jenny on the screen smiling at him.

"May I speak to Chief Cane please?" Jake asked looking down at the lone badge.

"Certainly." She replied and in less than a second Ben was on the phone.

"What do ya need Jake" said Ben in a lazy tone.

"Can you tell me if my dad was a trainer before he was a cop?" Jake asked hoping for a straight answer.

"Yeah, you found the case didn't you?" Ben said leaning forward. When Jake nodded he began his story, "When your father and I were a little younger than you we both took the Johto League Challenge. Your father picked Cyndaquil and I picked Charmander, and we both set off. Your father and I were quite the rivals back then, we couldn't even stand the sight of each other. When I finally got to the first stop on the map: Violet City, your father was already walking out of the Violet City Gym with the Thunderhead Badge, which was the badge back then because the Gym Leader was in to electric Pokemon. It's only become the Zephyr Badge in the last fifteen years."

"Why didn't he get the other seven badges?" Jake asked now having more questions than he did before.

"Something came up, I don't know exactly what." Ben answered in a nearly puzzled tone. "Listen kid, I gotta go, but I'll see you in about four days."

"Thanks Ben." They said their goodbyes and hung up the phone.

Jake went outside and down to the water, with the box in his hand, and stared out at the harbor. He looked down at his waist and put his hand on one of the two pokeballs that were clipped to it. Taking it from his waist, he summoned his friend Rascal.

Jake stood on the shore where he and Rascal had first met, "Well buddy, we're goin' on a trip." He pulled his hat down tight, and grinned, "And nothing's stopping us."

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 2 - The Would-Be Champion

It had been two days since Ben left to meet with the other Police Chiefs in Johto, only two to go until Jake went with him to New Bark Town to get registered for the Johto League Championship.

"C'mon you two," Jake said to Rascal and Lucario, "we're gonna need to be well prepared." He then put on his hat and turned to leave the room. As he came down stairs he waved to Nurse Joy and said, "We'll be back, we're going to the Poke Mart."

"Ok stay out of trouble you three." Nurse Joy said as they walked through the door.
Jake, Rascal and Lucario walked up the street and turned the corner to a strange sight. The Poke Mart was completely crowded; Jake saw reporters and other people crowding the front entrance of the store. As Jake elbowed his way through the crowd, he heard people say: "I wonder what she's buying," and "Wow I can't wait to meet her."

The double doors of the store opened automatically for Jake; inside was almost completely empty with the exception of one girl at the counter. "I'll take this and this and this. Oh do you have any Dusk Balls?" Obviously in a hurry, she ran back and forth between the shelves and the counter. On every trip back to the counter she always brought back an armful of things.

"That'll be 40,000 dollars." Said the clerk while trying to see over the mass of stuff.

"Here you go." Said the girl, managing to pick up the whole pile in both arms.
She walked through the double doors that opened automatically, and Jake could hear one reporter say "Rose! Can you tell us..." and was drowned when the double doors shut out all sound.

"Who was that?" Jake asked the clerk.

"Don't you watch TV?" the clerk was counting the money and putting it in the register. "That's Rose Blackthorn. She was almost the champion last year but got beat out by some kid wearing a ball cap. I think he was from the Kanto Region. What was his name, oh yeah it was... " Jake tuned her out.

Jake turned and walked toward the back slowly; he grabbed six dusk balls, six quick balls, and six timer balls.

Rascal lay near the counter looking out through the double glass doors, and Lucario had ran to the back to get himself a soda pop.

"Lucario could you get a couple for Rascal and me too?" Lucario nodded in agreement, and ran to the counter with three bottles of soda.
Jake walked back up to the counter, and placed all the items he'd just grabbed on it. "What do I owe ya?"

"3,750 dollars." The clerk said looking at the pokeballs and drinks. "Thank you." He nodded as Jake handed him the money.

"Well let's go get some food." Jake said to Lucario and Rascal, "I'm hungry."

The street was completely empty now. The only thing Jake could hear was a dull roar coming from the other side of town. "Wow they move fast."

In the diner Jake sat down with Rascal and Lucario while the waitress handed him a menu. "Can I get that?" Jake pointed to a picture on the front of the menu.
"Yes, and what will your pokemon have?" she asked looking at Rascal who was gnawing at his left fore leg.

"They'll have the same." Jake said, while poking Rascal's left shoulder. Rascal looked up at Jake who was looking at the waitress.

"Thank you sir, your order will be right out." The waitress turned and walked away.

Jake took his hat off and set it in the chair next to him. He noticed a girl in the back corner wrapped in a shawl and wearing dark sunglasses, trying not to be seen by any one else in the restaurant.

Just when his order came out he heard the door behind him slam open, nearly shattering the glass in the door. Forks scraping on plates, and people talking suddenly stopped to see the person who did it. All eyes were on the front door except Jake who had his back to the door.

"Those are some weak looking pokemon you got there, pal." Said the stranger referring to Rascal and Lucario.
Rascal's fur stood on end, and a low growl could be heard from deep in his throat. Lucario stood up from the chair he was sitting in, ready to strike.

Jake picked up a napkin, and placed it in his lap, "You wanna find out?" he asked.

"That's why I'm here. I've seen you around town." The stranger said, "And now that I've met you, I'm starting to think you're not worth my time."

"That so? It's illegal to battle in town, so you meet me out side of town at four o'clock sharp." Jake said trying to hide his displeasure.

"Four o'clock then." He turned to leave and stopped, "I won't wait 'til any later."

"You won't have to." Jake picked up his soda and took a drink.

When the door shut, the girl in the shawl came over to Jake's table, "Excuse me, did you know that person?"

"No ma'am, but I think he's got it in for me." Taking a bite of his food, "You must be Rose Blackthorn."

"How did you know?" she looked around to see if anyone had heard.

"Well, if I were you, and I wanted to get away, I'd come to the most obscure diner in town too." Jake pulled out the chair next to him and moved his hat to the table next his. "Eaten yet?"

"No I haven't, thank you." She sat down. "What a cute Luxray you have there."

"His name's Rascal, that's Lucario, and I'm Jake Brooks." He said giving her his hand.

"I'm Rose." She shook his hand.

Time passed without notice and before he knew it, it was already three-thirty. "Well heck, its time." Jake said looking at his watch. He stood up and paid for his and Rose's food, and then turned to leave.

"Do you mind if I come with you?" Rose said also standing up. "This should be interesting."

"Come along." Jake said as he put his hat on and pulled it down tight.

===============================================================================================

Ben sat in the Indigo Plateau Police Department for what seemed like all day. He'd just begun to watch the TV on the counter when he saw that unmistakable cowboy hat, with that unmistakable kid inside it. "What is he doing?!?" Ben stood up and looked around; everyone was staring at him. He walked over to the TV and turned up the volume.

"Well folks, we came out here to confirm sightings of Rose Blackthorn but instead we find a pre-season showdown." The reporter was commentating before the battle had even begun.

"Chief Cane. Your son will see you now." Officer Jenny said, but Ben was glued to the TV. "Chief Cane?"

"Dad, what are you doing?" Ben's son had come out of his office.

"Sorry Jimmy, but this is that kid I told you about. Come watch." Ben was still fixated on the TV.

"Jake's son? He's in Olivine right?" Jimmy walked over to the TV set.

"Yeah. I don't under stand why he's doing this though." Ben rubbed his chin.

===============================================================================================

There was forty feet between the stranger and Jake when they met. Jake looked around to see a news crew filming the whole thing.

"Looks like I'm gonna make a fool of you on national television." The stranger said with a sneer.

"Don't count on it." Jake turned to see where Rose was. There was a long silence. The wind rustled the red and yellow leaves in the forty feet that separated Jake and the stranger.

"Go, Golem!" He'd made his first move.

"Lucario, you're up!" Lucario stepped out into the field, not needing to be told twice.

"Golem, use Rock Slide!" The stranger shouted.

"Lucario, Aura Sphere!" Jake said hoping to catch Golem off guard.

Out of nowhere fifty rocks came tumbling out of the trees, all bent on running Lucario into the ground. Lucario skillfully dodged the renegade rocks, and turned back to Golem charging up a sphere of blue light.

"Golem, Earthquake!" He was on to Jake and Lucario's game.

"Lucario, look out!" Lucario released his attack just before Golem could unleash his. Golem went down in an instant.

"Are you kidding me?" The stranger was in disbelief. "Fine. Go, Pidgeotto!"

"Lucario, c'mon back. Rascal your turn" Rascal stepped out now ready to fight.

"Pidgeotto, Hyperbeam." A beam of red and yellow light nearly hit Rascal just barely missing him by inches.

"Rascal, use Thunder Fang." Jake took a step forward. Rascal jumped up and kicked off of a nearby tree giving him the boost he needed to reach Pidgeotto's height. When he reached his foe, he clamped down on its leg and released electricity through his teeth.

Pidgeotto went down for the count. "Return." Pidgeotto turned red, and returned to his pokeball. "Try this." The stranger pulled out his last three, and summoned them all at the same time. They were: Golbat, Wailmer, and Kadabra.

Without hesitation, before the stranger could give a command, Jake gave his command, "Rascal, Thunder." Rascal released all the electricity he had into all three of the other pokemon, knocking them all out.

The stranger hung his head dejectedly. After returning all three of his pokemon he began to walk away pausing only to say: "This isn't the end of it. We will meet again, count on it."

Reporters swarmed in from all sides. "Mister, why were you two battling?" "Who was that?" "Who are you?" "Where are you from?" "Are you going to take on the Johto League?" Everyone was asking questions.

A female voice interrupted, "Hey, Rose Blackthorn is down at the beach!" every reporter within a hundred yards began running to the beach on the other side of town.

Jake stood there, stunned. Rose walked up trying to contain her laughter. "Rose, I thought they were gonna eat me alive!"
"Welcome to my world." Rose was about to burst out laughing.

That night, Jake lay on his bed watching the news when his story came on, "...In other news, two relatively unknown pokemon trainers battled outside the city limits. It is unknown what the reasoning was behind the battle or how it started. As the footage here shows the battle was a quick one."

"Great, I've managed to get the entire region's attention." Jake said to him self, "Well, I'll worry about it in the morning." Jake switched off the TV, rolled over and went to sleep.

"Can you believe that?" Ben sat on the hotel balcony looking out toward the stadium. "His TV debut convinced the other police chiefs to go through with the plan."

"Does he know he's gonna be the bait?" Jimmy asked.

"No, and he doesn't need to know." Ben replied looking down at the pool. "Our main priority is to catch these thieves, and Jake is the only kid his age that I'd trust with this kind of assignment."

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
Hey there, I'm liking this fanficiton a lot, it's got a nice flow and the way it's written gives of all the information you need slightly and allows it to settle in good work. But please try to leave a lines space in between each paragraph so it's easier to read. Nice work and keep them coming!

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 3 - Pokemon Center Heist

Jake sat out on the balcony of his room waiting for tomorrow to arrive. He was not a patient person. He couldn't wait until he finally got to leave for New Bark Town, and register to take on the Johto League. Jake propped his feet up on the balcony rail, and pulled his hat down low to block out the rising sun.

He'd been asleep for five minutes when an explosion rocked the Pokemon Center. Jake jumped up and ran down stairs to find a mess. The blast had jarred the doors open that led to the recovery room; smoke poured through them into the waiting room where Jake was. "What was that?"

Nurse Joy who had been behind the counter was calling the police. "I don't know!"

"Rascal, let's check it out!" Jake yelled as he ran through the doors. The recovery room looked worse than the waiting room. Pokeballs were scattered everywhere, and three men in the back were loading everything they could grab onto a large truck. "Hey! Stop right there." The men stopped at the sound of Jake's voice.

Out of the shadows came a large gray fist that connected with the left side of Jake's head. The men jumped in the truck, and shut the doors. Jake stood up and ran to the back of the truck, climbed on, and hung on for dear life.

================================================== ===============

Rose had heard an explosion a block away, and ran to check it out. She had just entered the Pokemon Center when she heard tires squealing out in the front. When she got outside she could see a truck screaming down the road with Jake hanging off of the back. Behind her Jake's Luxray came running out of the building with Jake's hat in its mouth, and in one bound, leapt up on the rooftop of the nearest building and started running in the direction of the truck.

"Go, Adrian." Rose had summoned her biggest, and fastest pokemon, "I need a ride." Rose said climbing up on her back. "Follow that truck!"

================================================== =====================

Jake had finally managed to pull himself up on the roof of the truck when the driver slammed on the brakes to stop for an old man and his cart, which were in the middle of the road. Jake, (unable to find a handhold) slid off the front of the truck and hit the cart. The truck once again sped away, but this time Jake didn't chase it after finding he'd dislocated his left shoulder.

An Arcanine showed up just in time with Rose riding on it's back. "Climb on!" She yelled as the Arcanine came to a stop. Jake gave her his right hand, and she pulled him up behind her. The Arcanine started off again, and caught up with the truck in three bounds. "Adrian, use flamethrower on his right front wheel!" Arcanine unleashed a blast of fire into the right front of the truck. The truck's tire blew out and caused the truck to roll over, and skid on its side for hundreds of feet.

Jake jumped off of Arcanine's back, and ran up to the truck, now joined by Rascal who had been keeping up on the rooftops. Jake took his hat from Rascal's mouth and said "Thank you." Then he turned and climbed up on the driver's side of the truck, which was now facing the sky. When he opened the door, the same gray fist as before came out of the cab, and connected with his lower jaw, only this time Jake saw his attacker. It was a Machamp. "Rascal, use thunder wave on Machamp!" Rascal unleashed a wave of electricity that shocked Machamp into submission.

The driver kicked out the windshield and started to run, but Rose's Arcanine moved to block the road ahead of him; he was trapped.

Sirens could be heard coming up the road, with Officer Jenny on her motorcycle in the lead. "The cavalry's comin' friend, why don't you give yourself up." Jake said trying to reason with him.

"Because I'm gonna be rich!" the driver pulled out a small pellet and smashed it on the ground. A cloud of smoke filled the street, which nearly choked Jake and Rascal to death. They could hear him say: "What are you doing? Put me down!" When the smoke cleared he was being held up by the collar of his coat, in the mouth of Rose's Arcanine.

"Good work." Jake said to the Arcanine. "Now if you'll excuse us, I've gotta see a doctor."

"What for?" Rose asked

Without turning around or stopping Jake said, "When I fell off that truck, I dislocated my shoulder."

Rose was shocked, though now that she thought about it, she did notice he'd been favoring it since she picked him up back there.

Jake stood in front of the counter as Nurse Joy explained the severity of his wounds. "Luckily, you didn't tear any ligaments or permanently damage any muscles but you are going to feel that for a couple days." She was thumbing through the X-rays of Jake's shoulder and arm, "I also would suggest you keep that on." She noticed he was trying to pull out of the sling that she'd put on him no more than ten minutes ago.

Jake suddenly stopped and said in a very soft and quiet voice: "ooouuuccchhh"

Nurse Joy looked at him for a moment and finally said: "Told ya."

Jake went up stairs, and turned on the TV. He was just sitting down when he heard: "We interrupt this program to bring you breaking news coverage. We go now live to Kerrie Woods at the Olivine Pokemon Center.

"Dave, the scene here was of utter chaos, as three masked men raided the Olivine Pokemon Center and took as many as six hundred pokemon. The truck, which the thieves used, was later found fifteen blocks away turned over on its side. Police apprehended two of the three thieves, and the third has been identified as Billy Marshall."

Jake shut off the TV, "Well at least this time I didn't get in the news." He let out a sigh of relief as the phone on the stand by the bed rang. "Hello?"

================================================== =======================

"Hey, partner." Ben answered Jake's answer.

"Ben!" Jake almost yelled. "You heard about the attempted robbery?"

"Yeah, that's partly the reason I'm coming back early." Ben said looking down at his bags. "I'm taking the magnet train to Goldenrod City, and then I'll take a car back to Olivine City."

"Are you in the train station?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, and I oughta be back around four o'clock." Ben said staring at the train as it pulled in.

"Will we go to New Bark Town today then?"

"No. Professor Elm won't be expecting us until tomorrow." Ben was listening for the call to board the train. "Hey, I gotta go, they're about to load the train."

"All right, see you when you get here." Jake hung up the phone, and lay back on the bed. He tried once more to get his sling off, and this time managed it without hurting himself.

He gave the sling back to Nurse Joy, and said "Please don't tell Ben about what I did this morning. I don't want him to worry."

"He won't here it from me." She said with a nod and a smile.

The rest of the afternoon was a blur for Jake. He slept most of the day, until Ben showed.

"Now tomorrow, when we go to the lab in New Bark Town, do you tell Professor Elm about your mission?"

"No"

"Do you tell that cute little redhead you've been hangin' out with lately?"

"No" Jake thought for a moment, and then his jaw dropped. "What??"

"Yes I know about Rose Blackthorn." Ben said looking down at Jake, who was sitting on the hood of Ben's car. "Now c'mon, we're going to get a bite to eat."

"That's good. Where at?" Jake said wondering if he new about how the trouble started yesterday.

"I know a place down by the docks." Ben said.

Ben and Jake went down to the diner that Jake was very familiar with. As they sat down at the corner table that Rose sat in the day before, Jake could see all of the regulars turning to stare suspiciously. Jake pulled his hat down low so his eyes couldn't meet with anyone else's.

"Jake, they're staring at us like we've got the plague or somethin'" Ben looked around. "What did you do?"

"Well some guy stormed in here yesterday and challenged me. I'm sure you saw the battle on the news. Anyway he called Rascal and Lucario weak, so we had it out right outside of town." Jake explained himself as he reached out to grab a roll.

Rascal, whom Ben hadn't noticed was still with them yawned, stretched and went back to sleep.

"Jake, you gotta learn to keep your cool, buddy." Ben whispered. "A mean temper doesn't leave a good impression on strangers."

"Yeah I know, it's something I gotta work on." Jake acknowledged.

"I wasn't gonna tell you 'til tomorrow, but somebody told me, that your ol' pal Red is gonna be in New Bark Town tomorrow." Ben was staring at the table now. "Maybe if you wanna go meet see 'em, we can."

"Well, heck yeah I wanna go see 'em." Jake smiled. "It's been about four years." Jake was thoughtful for a minute. "Hey Ben, I know your gonna find out sooner or later, and I'd rather you found out from me." Jake said thinking.

"What's that?"

"I helped stop the truck that robbed the Pokemon Center." Jake confessed.

"I kinda figured that." Ben said.

"And you're not mad 'cause I put my life in danger?" Jake looked puzzled.

"Your old man was a cop once. I knew you would pull the same kind of heroics he would've." Ben paused for a second. "I also know that I couldn't stop you if I wanted to."

================================================== ================

Somewhere in the Orange Islands.

One of the thieves from the Pokemon Center heist stood in front of an older man sitting behind a desk in an old office building.

"I don't know what to tell ya boss. That kid is a lot stronger than you thought." He said pleading to

The man behind the desk leaned forward out of the shadows. He was an older man in his late sixties, his hair was snow white, and he had a goatee. "You've done well. You weren't supposed to succeed, you were just baiting the hook." He said in an old, but evil voice. "And now the only thing left to do is sink the catch."

As the thug left, the old man turned around to look at his Luxray. "Well Luxray, everything is on schedule. The Mauville Kid will pay for what happened to you."

The Luxray stepped out of the shadows to reveal a scar over the left of his golden gleaming eyes.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
Wow! I loved the chase part and the bit at the end, and thanks for doing the space thing it makes it a lot easier to read, keep up the awesome work!

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 4 - Enter Billy and Bonnie: The Rocket Duo

The Magnet Train was quiet except for the dull thrum of the wheels on the track and the occasional "clickity-clack." Jake's head lolled as the train lost speed whenever it would come to a bend in the rail-road.

Jake groggily looked outside to see that it was still early in the morning. The sun was just now breaking the peak of Mt. Silver.

A voice came over the intercom, and said, "We will arrive in New Bark Town in five minutes."

Jake slowly slipped into a deep sleep.

Suddenly he was standing in a large warehouse with a spindly, wooden chair in the center. He recognized the place, but didn't want to believe his eyes. A younger version of himself sat, strapped to the chair in the center. His head was hung to where the brim of his father's hat covered his eyes.

This came as a relief to Jake because he didn't want to see the boy's eyes. They must've been in pain.

A growl came from a cage in the back of the room. Jake whirled around to see a large cage with a massive black dragon inside it.

"He's magnificent isn't he?" The voice of an older man said. His name, Jake couldn't recall, but his face was burned into his memory forever.

He had a ragged and weathered face that could have been made of stone. His ice blue eyes mirrored Jake's cold grey eyes. With a goatee on his chin and a thin beard, this man was a man to fear.

Jake started to speak but the boy spoke first. He took the words right from Jake's mouth. "Go to hell." He said weakly.

"Hey! Sleepin' beauty! Wake up, it's time to go!" A finger jabbed Jake's rib cage sharply, and Jake bolted awake in a cold sweat. Ben's six foot frame towered over Jake. Jake was back on the train. "You okay? You look like you had a bad dream."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go see the professor." Jake said, wiping the sweat off of his forehead.

Rascal stepped over Jake's lap, and out into the aisle, and then Jake stood up. There was a numb spot where Rascal's head had been resting on Jake's leg.

They went to the pokemon lab where they were to meet Professor Elm. On the way they met an odd elderly couple and a very ugly kid. They claimed that the lady was a psychic and could tell Jake exactly what his Luxray was thinking, but Jake paid them no attention. "We don't have time for cheap parlor games." He said to Ben who gave Jake a funny look. "Besides I've seen pokemon get stolen like that before." He added in a softer voice, as if revealing the real reason for avoiding them.

He remembered back to all of the times someone had tried to steal Rascal.

They walked into the pokemon lab. Jake was amazed by all of the books the laboratory had. "If this wasn't a lab it could sure pass for a library." Jake said to Ben who whistled in amazement.

As they moved deeper into the lab they heard a person reading aloud but in a very soft tone. "…the Lucario is a rare species that can only be found in the Sinnoh Region." Then without, making a sound he looked up. "Oh, hello. I didn't hear you come in." He smiled and held out his hand. "I'm Professor Elm, the official Pokemon Professor for this region."

Ben shook his hand, and said, "I'm Ben Cane; we talked on the phone a few days ago. And this is Jake Brooks, the boy that I need you to register into the Pokemon League."

Professor Elm adjusted his glasses. "Has Jake been registered in any other region than here?" he asked.

"Yes." Jake interrupted. "I was registered in the Hoenn League six years ago."

"Ok, that saves me a lot of work. All I need you to do is sign this trainer's card…" Professor Elm said handing him an I.D. "…and enter your name into the computer." He pulled the chair out of his desk so that Jake could sit down at the computer.

After Jake did these two things, Professor Elm looked at him and said; "Ok now it's time for you to pick your first Johto Pokemon." He laid three pokeballs on his desk

Jake picked up the pokeball that had a fire emblem on it. "I choose Cyndaquil." He said without a second thought. He pushed the button on the center and released a porcupine-like pokemon. The flame quills on its back were retracted, which made him look very harmless. "Hey there little guy."

The Cyndaquil looked up at him, and cocked its head to the right. Then Cyndaquil jumped into his arms happily.

"Looks like he likes you kid," Ben said. "I think we should get you started off on your journey."

"Alright, sounds good to me." Jake said. "Cyndaquil, return." The pokemon turned red and disappeared into the pokeball. Jake stood up and turned and before leaving he said, "Thank you Professor."

Before he made it outside the door opened and a person walked in who was about Jake's age, maybe younger. He stood about five and a half feet tall, and wore a red and black baseball cap. "I don't believe it." He said looking Jake right in the eyes.

Jake recognized him automatically and grinned. "Well you'd better believe it! Otherwise you don't know me half as well as I thought you did."

"Jake, I haven't seen or heard from you in almost six years!" The boy exclaimed.

"Four." Jake corrected.

"Six." He said quickly. "You and your dad came out to Pallet Town about six years ago. Just before all the insanity I went through with Team Rocket."

Jake thought for a minute, "Either way it's good to see ya again Red."

"So what are ya doin' out here?" Red asked.

"I heard you were in town and came to visit." Jake replied in a jokingly.

"Bull."

"Heh, you're right. I came to challenge the Johto League." Jake became serious now. "But I did know you were gonna be in town."

"Well it's been good to see ya Jake." Red went and spoke with Professor Elm, and then came back to the door.

They stepped outside and Red started back towards the road back to Pallet Town. Jake turned and walked in the opposite direction. Rascal walked beside him looking around cautiously. Jake had an uneasy feeling about his surroundings. They made it all the way down Main Street, when they heard a voice come over the city-wide PA system. A female voice said: Citizens of New Bark Town! A robbery is taking place at the pokemon lab. A curfew is in effect as of now. Anyone caught on the streets will be arrested immediately!"

People began murmuring amongst themselves. All eyes turned toward Jake who apparently was the only stranger in town. Jake started back toward the pokemon lab. "We were only five blocks away. How could someone have robbed it that quickly?" Jake said to Rascal who ran with him.

Then Officer Jenny pulled up on her motorcycle. "Are you Jake Brooks?" she asked.

Jake took off his hat, "Yes Ma'am."

"Chief Cane is in trouble!" She said as Jake ran around to the side car and climbed in. Jenny's tires squealed as they sped away, with Rascal effortlessly keeping up.

Jake tugged on his hat to keep the wind from grabbing it. "What kind of trouble?" He yelled over the roar of the motorcycle's engine.

"They have him pinned down in the town square, along with Rose Blackthorn." She replied. Jenny squeezed on the brakes and the motorcycle squealed to a halt. She swung her leg over and got off of the bike. Jenny and Jake were at a restaurant just outside of the town square where Jake could hear a lot of commotion. They peeked around the corner to see that Ben and Rose were behind a police car, with pin missiles raining down all around them. Jake's eyes followed the silver pins all the way back to their source. An Umbreon stood on the rooftop of a building using Pin Missile.

Jake thought quickly, then turned and grabbed one of the wooden tables outside of the restaurant. He used it as a shield as he ran across the plaza to the car that Ben and Rose were using for cover. "What's she doing here?" He asked.

"I'm a pokemon trainer. This is where trainers register for the year." She said as the left front tire of the police cruiser deflated. Her expression had "DUH!" written all over it.

"Ok, so you have a right to be here." He said. Then he turned to Ben, "But why do you have a police car? You're the chief of Olivine."

Ben looked at Jake. "I umm, commandeered it." Ben turned and looked through the passenger side window. "I think Rascal can use Thunder Wave, and paralyze that Umbreon, but I'll have to distract him."

"No, I'll distract him." Jake said taking out a pokeball, with a lopsided grin on his face. He looked at Rascal, "When Ben gives you the signal, you use Thunder Wave on that Umbreon. Got it?"

Rascal acknowledged with a growl.

"Go Rapidash!" Jake opened the pokeball letting out the horse pokemon. He ran up and swung himself up on Rapidash's back. "Let's ride!"

"Oh no." Ben said quietly.

"What?" Rose asked.
"He's smiling." He put his head in his hands.

"Is that bad?"

"It's never ever a good sign." Ben said.

Rapidash's hooves clopped on the asphalt in great bounds. The Umbreon turned its attention away from the police car and on to Jake and Rapidash who were riding around the plaza. As the silver pins began to rain down all around Jake and Rapidash, Jake heard Ben yell "Now!"

Rascal jumped up on the hood of the police car, and unleashed his wave of electricity. The Umbreon was caught off guard, and dropped to the roof, paralyzed as planned. Jake heard a male voice yell "Return!" and then a female voice yelled "Go, Espeon!"

Jake and Rapidash rode around to the back of the building, where they came to a stop. "Rapidash, use Bounce." Jake said quietly so the thieves were not alerted. Rapidash jumped high into the air, with Jake holding on tight, and landed on the rooftop where the thieves were at. The roof cracked under the pressure of Rapidash's landing.

A male and a female were on the rooftop. They both whirled around when Jake jumped off of Rapidash's back and yelled "Hey!" They both wore Team Rocket uniforms. The female had flowing blonde hair and blue eyes. And the male, Jake recognized to be none other than the trainer who challenged him in the Olivine Diner two days ago. He had jet-black hair as black as his uniform, and black eyes to match.

"Billy, he's so much cuter than you described him to be. And those pale gray eyes are to die for." The girl said to the male. "Can we keep him?"

"Well Bonnie, I guess I didn't have a woman's perspective." Billy replied to her.

"You two caused a lot of trouble today, and coulda got somebody killed." Jake interrupted.

"Excuse me if I'm not all broken up about that." Billy said.

"I also want what ever it is that you stole from the lab." Jake added.

"Sorry cutie, no can do." Bonnie said with a malicious smile.

Rascal jumped up and joined Jake, and Rapidash. "Well, I guess we'll have to fight you for it then."

"Fine, you'll lose." Billy glared at Jake. "Bonnie, stay out of this, I have a score to settle." He took out two pokeballs, and unleashed Golem and Pidgeotto. "Golem, use Rock Throw. Pidgeotto, use Hyper Beam."

"Rapidash, use Horn Drill. Rascal, use Hyper Beam." Jake called to his pokemon. Rascal and Pidgeotto's Hyper Beams caused an explosion in between them, as they met half way, and Rapidash used its horn to drill right through the rocks that were thrown at Rascal.

Their battle was interrupted by the sound of sirens, screaming down Main Street. "Billy, I think it's time we cut our losses and get out of here." Bonnie said, grabbing Billy's arm.

"Yes, perhaps you're right." He looked at Jake. "We'll finish this later cowboy." Billy returned his pokemon and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a tiny capsule and slammed it on the ground. Smoke erupted instantly. When Jake looked up they were gone.

Ben and Rose suddenly appeared over the edge of the roof. They had come up the fire escape. "Who was it?" Ben asked.

"It was Team Rocket. A pair of villains callin' themselves Billy and Bonnie." Jake looked around. "There's more, Billy's the one I fought in Olivine day before yesterday."

"Where'd they go?" Ben asked.

"They disappeared; Billy had some kinda smoke bomb." Jake answered.

"Just like the robbery yesterday." Rose chimed in.

"Right." Jake agreed.

That night Jake threw his bag down on the bed in one of the spare rooms in the Pokemon Center.

"I'm sorry Jake, but they can't let anyone go until they're sure Billy and Bonnie do have the fossil." Ben said. "I even heard Red was nearly robbed by another pair of thieves who were after the other fossil."

"So, explain to me what Professor Elm told you about the fossil that Billy and Bonnie have." Jake said.

"Well, he said that his scientists uncovered two fossils. One was the Lugia's wishbone which Red has, and the other was one of Lugia's lower vertebrae." Ben explained.

"What do ya think they'll do with it?" Jake asked.

Ben scoffed. "Probably sell it."

"You don't think they could clone it do you?"

"It's a possibility." Ben said. A possibility that neither one of them wanted to consider. "With Lugia at his command, Giovanni would be unstoppable."

Jake went down into the lobby where he found Red healing his pokemon. A Pikachu was with him that wasn't with him in the lab. "Hey." Jake said to Red.

"Hey Jake." Red said back. "I heard that you had some excitement today."

"Yeah, nothin' that Rascal and me couldn't handle." Jake said looking down at Rascal. "I heard they came after you too."

"Yup, but Pikachu put 'em in their place." Red chuckled.

Ben and Rose stood across the room, just out of ear shot of Jake and Red. "I can just see the rivalry between them." Ben said.

"They seem perfectly normal to me." Rose said to Ben.

"You just watch them further down the line. Sooner or later, they'll have to find out which one of them is best." Ben replied.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 5: Assasination's the Name of the Game

Jake lay asleep on the balcony of the Pokemon Center. The balcony looked out over the small town, allowed a view of the town that one didn't have from anywhere else in the town.

In the past four years he had developed an annoying case of reoccurring nightmares. Some nights he would wake up in a cold sweat, scared nearly to death. Other nights he would simply wake up and find himself sleeping where he hadn't been sleeping before.

He'd been to see every professional in the Johto Region, and some even in the Kanto Region. All but one told Jake they couldn't help. The one that could help however was a powerful psychic pokemon trainer.

She was beautiful. In some ways she was kind, and in other ways she was very brutal. She was sixteen at the time he came to her for help.
Though she was four years older than him, Jake began to fall in love with her. He could never be fully sure if she felt the same way at the time, but now that he was sixteen himself, he assured himself that she had no such feelings toward him. But it was an entertaining thought for Jake.

Jake woke up and shifted his wait a little to make himself more comfortable in the chair he slept in. Quickly, he jumped up.

"What the hell?" He muttered to himself, realizing he wasn't sleeping on his bed. For a minute he thought he heard breathing in his room, but dismissed it.

He walked over to the bed and began to pull back the covers when he suddenly felt his air passage-ways close. Jake heard laughter coming from behind him, and the sound of a pokemon.

"No one stops Team Rocket from getting our way." The sinister voice laughed louder. "Finish him."

"Dabra." The pokemon acknowledged him. Before he could administer the maneuver that would snap Jake's neck, the pokemon was tackled by a shadowy figure. The Kadabra lost his concentration and let go of Jake, who began to gasp for air.

The man displayed his cowardice by abandoning his pokemon and running for the window.

Jake turned and tackled the man right through the window and over the balcony. Their fall was broken by a stand of watermelons that had been suspiciously parked right underneath his second story window.

The man rolled off of the stand and began to run, but Jake grabbed his foot and brought him to the concrete. In a rage, Jake straddled the man's stomach and began punching him repeatedly until his arm was sore.

There was a pair of loud (decidedly female) squeals that could have shattered windows. A big strong arm pulled Jake off of the man.
Jake reacted by taking a swing at the stranger, but it was caught by the stranger's free hand.

"You finished?" Asked the familiar voice.

"I was just getting started, Ben." Jake replied gruffly.

The two females were Rose and Nurse Joy, who had let themselves into Jake's room, after hearing the commotion, and found the Kadabra with his arm halfway down Rascal's throat.

Ben handcuffed the man to a nearby street sign and helped Jake, who was limping badly, up the stairs.

When they got to his room, Jake coaxed Rascal into letting go of Kadabra's arm. Jake pulled out the Kadabra's pokeball, which he took from the man,
and returned Kadabra to it. He then clipped the ball to his belt.

"What are you doing?" Ben asked.

"Takin' this guy's pokemon. He won't need it where he's goin' for one, and for two, he was willin' to let this poor devil get eaten by Rascal, and for three, the Police Department's just gonna confiscate 'em and then put 'em in some kind of rehab center and turn him into a waffle eatin' pansy." Jake explained. "I believe I can train him."

Ben stared at Jake for a minute, "That mind of yours sure works awfully fast for a kid."

"Heh. Under this disguise there's fifty years of experience that I inherited from my father. He was a good teacher." Jake remarked, looking up at Ben.

"Alright, you can keep 'em. But don't surprised if that loser outside gets out and comes lookin' for 'em." Ben answered.

"Oh boys. Hate to disappoint you, but he's gone." Rose said sardonically.

Jake and Ben hurried over to the balcony to look out at the street sign he was handcuffed to. The handcuffs were at the bottom of the sign post with no occupants inside them.

"Jake, you'd better be lookin' over your shoulder really good tomorrow." Ben said.

"That's not the best part. Team Rocket sent him to kill me." Jake said with a grin on his face.

"Oh hell. Here we go again." Ben said turning to look out at the city.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 6 - Wanted: The Master Thief

Jake happily walked down the street followed closely by Rascal and Cyndaquil. After the previous night's events, Jake was quite worn out and his leg was still in pain. "Falling out of a second story window will do that to ya, buddy." Ben's voice echoed in his mind.

Jake smiled at the sight before him. Rascal and Cyndaquil had become fast friends. In an after-thought-like manner, Jake announced, "It's time to give you a name!"

Rascal turned around so that Cyndaquil (who was riding on Rascal's back) could see Jake. Cyndaquil looked up at Jake, who stared back.

"I think I'll call you… Cole." Jake said after a long minute of thought. "It's got a nice ring, and it rhymes with 'coal', which would make sense because you're a fire type pokemon."

Cole appeared happy with his new name.

Jake smiled down at Cole.

Suddenly out of no where a boy, who appeared to be about ten years old, ran out of the crowd, and bumped into Jake. He was accompanied by a Shinx that was quite dirty. "Sorry, mister." The boy said, and kept walking. He wore a solid black ball cap and dog tags, similar to the ones Jake was wearing. His clothes were dirty and his hair was a mess.

Jake would have passed him off as homeless, if he didn't know what being what a ten year-old was like. You play in the mud, have fun with you're pokemon and most of all enjoy childhood.

The boy continued down the street until he bumped into another man, to which he replied "Sorry, mister."

Another eight seconds passed before the same man got fifty feet before turning and screaming "My wallet!" Jake was dumbfounded by this exclamation, until subconsciously felt his pockets, and realized his wallet, and the badge case his father had left him were both gone.

"That little…" Jake cut himself off, remembering his manners. He took off in a dead sprint after the boy, who had made it all the way to the end of the street, and around the corner. When Jake rounded the corner, the boy was gone.

"Damn It!" Jake yelled angrily as he kicked a garbage can. Apparently theft was being added to the childhood list of activities.

===========================================================================

The allies of New Bark Town were like that of every town: dark, damp, and dirty.

The little boy stopped to catch his breath as the little Shinx caught up with the boy and nuzzled his leg like a house cat. The boy knelt beside the Shinx and held out his big haul. "Look at all the stuff we got, Xander. I'm sure Mr. Ryder will pay good money for it all."

Xander nuzzled the boy's leg again.

"Well, well, Johnny boy. It would seem that you have some things to sell me." said a voice from a dark shadow.

"Yes Mr. Ryder, sir. I just got all of this stuff today, sir." Johnny replied

"Hmmm," The average height man towered over little Johnny as he picked through the handful of stolen goods. "Not bad, not bad at all." He came to a leather wallet with a gold watch chain attached to it. He opened the wallet and looked at its contents. Ryder's eyes widened at what they saw. The trainer card inside it said "Brooks, Jacob M." Ryder looked up at the boy. "I'll take this wallet for free, and you can have the money inside it."

"Yes sir." Johnny answered timidly.

"You've done a good bit of work; one day you'll be worthy of joining our ranks." Ryder said with an evil grin on his face. "Now, be off with you."

"Yes sir." Johnny answered again. The thought of joining Team Rocket's ranks was not an appealing thought, but he needed the money badly. When Mr. Ryder handed Johnny the money, Johnny thanked him and left.

As the boy rounded the corner, Ryder pulled out his cell phone and dialed four digits. "Yeah, this is Delta One-Nine. I found my target. What are my orders?"

The voice on the other end of the line was silent for a moment. "Eliminate him."

======================================================================================

"I'm sorry Mr. Brooks. There are a hundred boys matching that same description all over the city." The officer said smugly from behind his desk.

"What?! How many of them are pick-pockets though? I'm sure you've busted at least one for theft!"

"I'm sorry sir." The officer said blankly.

Jake stood up and left. "The hell with this. I'm outta here." Jake stormed out of the Police Station with Rascal and Cole, right behind him. "This is ridiculous!" He screamed at no one in particular.

Just as he made it to the other side of the street, he glanced across the four-way intersection and saw the boy and his Shinx.

The boy looked up just in time to make eye contact with Jake. He turned around and sprinted down the sidewalk toward the end of the street.

"Oh no you don't! Rascal, stop him!" Jake shouted as he crossed the intersection right when the light turned green.

The boy glanced back to see that Jake was about to be hit by a car. He grabbed one of his pokeballs, and threw it up. The ball released an Abra who appeared to have been taking a nap. "Abra! Go rescue that guy!" Johnny cried.

The Abra nodded, then disappeared in a flash of light. He reappeared near Jake and grabbed Jake's arm, and they disappeared together. When they reappeared, they were on the sidewalk next to the boy.

Before the boy and his pokemon could run, Jake grabbed him by the collar. Sparks erupted from the boy's Shinx.

Rascal responded by growling at the younger pokemon. The angered growl discouraged the Shinx's attack.

"You robbed me kid. I want everything you took from me." Jake demanded.

"But I don't have it." The boy replied with fear in his eyes.

"What?" Jake refrained from hitting the boy. "Where is it?"

"I sold it." The boy replied still quivering.

Jake sat down and pushed his hat back to where it rested on the crown of his head. He put his head in his hands and allowed himself time to think. "Who did you sell it to?" Jake asked finally.

"I'm not telling." The boy huffed.

Just then, a ball of purple and black hit the concrete in front of Jake, causing an explosion that threw him against the wall next to the sidewalk.

Jake coughed and spat dust out of his mouth. "That was a Shadow Ball attack!" Rascal growled and the flaming spines on Cole's back extended greatly.

Soon evil laughter was heard above the rooftops. Jake and the boy looked up and saw a shadowy figure hovering above the building, all alone. "Well, I had planned to destroy the both of you, and as fortune would have it, I find you together." He said wickedly.

"Mr. Ryder?" The boy seemed shocked.

"That's right Johnny boy, but my name is not Ryder. I am known to most as an assassin, but only those whom I work for know my true name." The man said with a cold grin.

"And for those who seek your services, you are simply known as Broken Sword." Jake finished. Fire flashed through his diamond grey eyes.

The man's grin broadened. "Then you've heard of me?"

"Every ninja alive knows of your exploits with Team Rocket." Jake grinned at his opponent.

"Then you must be a ninja yourself." Broken Sword replied.

"Not officially, but I was trained by one of the best." Jake answered. Rascal had never seen a look like this in his friend's eyes before. "And it's my assumption, that you've been hired to kill me."

The man nodded.

"Bring it on." Jake answered.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 7 - In Harm's Way: Broken Sword Strikes

"Bring it on!" Jake called to the assassin.

"Hmph. You have a lot to learn. Too bad you won't live long enough to reget the mistake of not running. Not that you would have been able to escape." Broken Sword said with a grin.

Rascal didn't wait for Jake's command. He leapt high into the air and used Thunder. The bolt appeared to be on a direct path to Broken Sword, but another Shadow Ball attack deflected it away.

"Where did that come from?" Jake asked looking around. "There's no pokemon around here!"

"None that you can see." The assassin answered. He pulled out a pokeball. "Garchomp! ATTACK!!"

The Garchomp appeared and began by swatting Rascal away like a bug.

"Damn!" Jake yelled. He ran over to Rascal. "You ok, partner?"

Rascal growled and moved a little.

"It's ok. You wait here while I make short work of this guy." Jake comforted the Luxray.

"Ok Lucario, use Aura Sphere!" He threw Lucario's pokeball into the street which burst open, and Lucario sprang out already launching his attack.

"Use Giga Impact!"

Garchomp jumped high into the air and suspended their for a moment. His horns began to glow and he launched himself at Lucario.

Lucario's Aura Sphere was deflected like it had hit a freight train. Garchomp's attack continued on and slammed into Lucario who was thrown across the street and into a
nearby building.

===========================================================================================================================

Ben sat down in his seat with his newspaper. He looked out of the window and saw an explosion. "He's at it again..." Ben said to himself getting up and pulling out a pokeball. He stepped off of the train and into the street.

===========================================================================================================================

Jake ran down the street with Garchomp close behind him. Johnny, Rascal and Lucario were safely out of the fray because Garchomp had chosen Jake as a target. Jake was now doing the only thing he could do: run like hell.

Jake led him into a public area where lots of people could see the attack. Garchomp stopped chasing Jake and left. Jake remembered that Broken Sword didn't like people watching him "work".

Ben appeared with pokeball in hand. "Jake, what's goin' on?"

Jake looked at Ben. "I think I found him."

"You don't mean..."

Jake nodded solemnly. "I thought I could take him but I guess I thought wrong." He turned to walk back to where Johnny and Rascal were, but Ben stopped him.

"When you replied to my letter about my needing your help, you said you were already planning on coming back to the Johto Region. Would he have anything to do with it?" Ben asked in more of a curious tone than anything else.

"Yes." Was Jake's reply,

"Listen. I don't want you to take the law into your own hands." Ben said.

Jake nodded and walked back to the street where Johnny and Rascal were.

Johnny was less petrified than earlier.

Jake grabbed him by the collar. "Where's my wallet, you little punk?"

Johnny reached into his pocket. "Here it is." He handed Jake the wallet.

"I thought you sold it." Jake said looking down at it.

"We have Xander to thank for that. You saved my life. So I had Xander pick his pockets and get your wallet back." Johnny answered gesturing toward his Shinx.

"Thanks kid." Jake looked back to see Ben.

"I'm calling this whole thing off. It's too dangerous now that Team Rocket's involved." He said with a stern look on his face.

"Ben, I've gotta do this." Jake pled.

"No. You've got no chance against that assassin. If he gets you, you're finished. I'm not
going to lose another friend." Ben folded his arms.

"Ben, I've got it covered. If I just keep out of his sights he won't kill me."

"No. C'mon we're goin' back to the Pokemon Center." Ben replied.

Jake hung his head. "Fine. Let's go." Jake's entire face covered by his hat.

Though Ben couldn't see it, Johnny saw a wicked grin play across Jake's face.

============================================================================================================================

Jake stood on the balcony with Rascal, rejuvenated and ready to fight. "C'mon partner.

Jump on down there and see if the coast is clear."

Rascal jumped off of the balcony and glanced around at the surroundings. "Ray!" He answered in his gruff Luxray tone of voice. He knew that they were sneaking out and he
was okay with that.

Jake hooked a chair under the doorknob of the door to his room. He threw his makeshift rope down and rappelled down the wall, while Lucario supported his weight. When Jake let go of the rope, Lucario wound it up and threw it ino the closet.

Lucario jumped off of the balcony and landed in a kneeling position with one paw/hand on the ground.

"Let's go guys." Jake said turning to start running down the street before someone saw him.

"Hey!" Too late. Jake turned to look and saw Johnny stepping out of the alley. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Cherrygrove City, and straight on to the Johto League Championship." And in a lower tone Jake added, "And my revenge."

"Well, I'm going with you." Johnny said coming out of the shadows.

"Not on your life!" Jake almost yelled.

"Fair enough, but I wonder what that John Law friend of yours would think about you sneaking out." Johnny replied.

"I'll strangle you."

"Hmph. I guess there's nothing left I can do but scream for help." Johnny said. He opened his mouth and screamed loudly, "HELMMMPH."

Jake grabbed him and put a hand over his mouth. "You do that again, and I'll feed you to my Luxray." He hissed. "I guess you can come with me, but it's your funeral if you get cornered by Broken Sword."

Johnny's eyes widened. When Jake removed his hand Johnny was bewildered. "I thought you had it covered!"

"I lied, sue me." Jake answered cooly. "The truth is I'm gunnin' for that guy who tried to kill us today." He turned and walked away.

Johnny ran after him. "It doesn't matter. I'm still going with you. As long as I'm here, he'll know just where to find me."

"Fine. Let's get a move on before they... too late!" Jake said looking in the window of his room. He saw the lights turn on which meant they broke the door down. "C'mon!!"

============================================================================================================================

Ben stood on the balcony of Jake's room. "Well?"

Officer Jenny looked at Ben. "We've combed the city. It's likely that they're anywhere here and Cherrygove City?"

Ben gently beat his fist on the balcony rail. "Alright."

"Should I put out an APB for them and revoke their trainer's licenses?" Jenny asked.

"No. He was trained by Jacob Brooks Senior. If he doesn't want to be found, he won't be found." Ben answered. He looked out toward the city. "Take care of yourself, Jake."

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 8 – Slice and Dice! (Vs. Scyther)

The road was dark along the way to Cherrygrove City. Jake looked down at the clock on his pokedex. "Six-thirty." He muttered to himself as Johnny trailed behind.

"We've been walking forever!" Johnny cried.

"Yeah. Cherrygrove City should be fairly close. We oughta keep walkin' and we'll be there soon." Jake replied. He looked down at Rascal who walked beside him.

There was a growl from somewhere. Jake looked back at Johnny who innocently stared at him. "Are you hungry?" Jake asked him.

"No!" Johnny's attitude became hostile.

Jake glared at Johnny. "You'd better eat boy."

"Don't call me 'boy'!" Johnny growled.

Jake's eyes narrowed. "I will call you 'Johnny B. Goode' if I feel like it!" Jake answered.

"Xander!" Johnny called. The Shinx's fur emitted sparks and then a jolt of electricity
launched out and hit Jake. "Don't ever call me that again!"

Jake pushed himself up off of the ground. "I didn't mean anything personal by it." He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a paralyze heal.

As Jake injected himself with it, Johnny moved closer to him. "It happens to be my full name." He growled in an angered tone.

Jake stared after Johnny while he and Xander stormed off into the forest.

===========================================================================

"Chief, we've received news about the assassin that was after Jake." Officer Jenny said walking into Ben's office. "Team Rocket's been leasing out their agents to others in an attempt to make up the money they've lost under the leadership of The Mask of Ice."

Ben turned around in his chair to look at Jenny. "What does that mean?"

"It means that someone not from Team Rocket, paid for Broken Sword's services. I also received this photo from a security camera at the Olivine Port." Jenny handed a picture to Ben. In it were two figures, one a tall man and the other a little girl. "Do you know who they are?"

Ben took a deep breath. "Yeah, two messengers of a whole lot of trouble. The man's name is unknown but he goes by the alias "Mars". The little girl, I've never seen before but I can be certain that she's with him."

================================================================

Jake had been napping since noon. With no sense of time at the moment, Jake wasn't sure of where Johnny was nor did he care—until he heard a cry for help that came from Johnny. Jake sat up quickly and looked around.

The campsite was completely empty except for Jake and Rascal.

Jake and Rascal looked at each other. "C'mon, let's go!" Jake said standing up. He turned and ran in the direction of the screams.

When he got to where the screams had been coming from, he found Johnny's ball cap lying in the middle of a clearing. Jake picked it up and saw green fur like that from a Scyther. Jake knelt and found dirt that had been kicked around. It signaled that there was a struggle and the Scyther carried the boy off. The question was: where to?

"Rascal. Use that super-sensitive nose of yours to track Johnny." Jake told Rascal.

There was a rustling in the bushes "Johnny?"

No such luck, though it was his pokemon. "Shinx" was all the Shinx could say before fainting. Jake picked up Xander and carried him back to camp. He let out Lucario and gave him strict orders. "Guard him with your life." Jake ordered just before running off into the woods after Rascal who had found Johnny's scent and was following it.
There was another blood-curdling scream and then the sound of a blade slashing through wood. Jake followed the sound to the source. It was just as he thought. A Scyther kidnapped Johnny and was trying to use him for target practice.
Johnny screamed again as the Scyther nearly took his head off with a slash at his neck. Johnny stumbled back and yelped.

If Jake wanted to help, it was now or never. He couldn't use Rascal's Thunder because there was a chance it could hit the boy. Jake took off his jacket and ran at the Scyther. Now that he thought about it, it really wasn't the most thought out plan, but he was already in the clearing and had the element of surprise. He drew his arm back as he ran. He was close now; the Scyther saw him out of the corner of his eye. He turned swinging his blade around at Jake's torso, but Jake caught Scyther's blade by the wrist. He was close enough now; he threw the punch and caught Scyther in the side of the head. Not much effect, but it accomplished the goal: distract it from Johnny.

Angrily the Scyther swung his other blade and nearly decapitated Jake, but Jake caught that blade at the wrist also; just barely stopped at Jake's throat. Now his arms were crossed, his left holding Scyther's left and his right holding Scyther's right.

He used what little leverage he had to throw Scyther out into the clearing away from Johnny. Johnny was petrified with fear.

Jake was still holding Scyther's scythes as he put his leg behind Scyther's and brought him to the ground. Jake looked back at Johnny who was still petrified. He took one hand away from Scyther's blade and put his foot on it in order to free up his hand. "Johnny get ou—ouch, son of a—"

The Scyther had lifted his head up close enough to Jake's arm to latch on to it with his sharp teeth. Jake looked at Rascal who had been reluctant to attack for fear of hitting Jake. "Rascal, use Thunder!"

The Luxray hesitated.

"DO IT NOW, DAMN IT!!" Jake yelled.

Rascal unleashed a devastating Thunder attack that could have killed a Fearow. It hit Jake and Scyther, knocking them both unconscious in moments.

Jake woke up with a start. The sun had set and it was dark now. Johnny was asleep under the tree that he had been under during the whole ordeal. Rascal was asleep next to Jake and the Scyther was still unconscious. Jake took out a pokeball and threw it at Scyther and caught him without a struggle. He picked up the pokeball and clipped it to Johnny's belt. He picked Johnny up and woke Rascal and began trudging towards the camp. Lucario and Xander were gone. Jake hoped they were okay, wherever they were. He packed the camping gear and followed Rascal who seemed to have their scent. Carrying Johnny in his arms.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 9 – When We First Met (Vs. Luxray)

Jake trudged forward. It was midnight now and fatigue was taking its toll.

I wish there was something I could do for him. Rascal thought to himself as they walked on. I shouldn't have attacked.

There was nothing else you could do. You had to attack. Another voice told him. He looked over at Jake's waist and saw Kadabra's pokeball. Through the red semi transparent dome Kadabra was looking at him. If you didn't attack, it would have been a matter of time before Scyther got free, and cut your master to shreds.

How do you know? Rascal asked him.

Because, I'm telepathic; I can see the future. Kadabra answered. I can also see that you have a great deal of love for him; love that I could never have had for my master. How did you two meet?

It was ten years ago. I was a lost pokemon. My previous master abused me and made me feel weak. Jake's father rescued me. He gave me to Jake as a gift. Rascal explained.

Kadabra was silent for the rest of the trip, though his mind raced with the thoughts of Jake's kindness, and after seeing it first hand, he knew Jake would bravely if not foolishly risk his own life to save another.

They came to a stop in a clearing where there was a cozy fire happily roaring. Jake stopped and took one last step.

"Who's out there?" A female voice called out.

Weakly Jake answered. "It's a half dead cowboy and his Luxray. I've got a boy here that needs tendin' to."

The girl stood up and Rascal could see it was Rose. "Oh my goodness! Jake, what are you doing traveling at this hour?" She asked apprehensively.

"See to the boy, please." Jake said as she took Johnny from his arms. "I just need a quick nap and I'll be okay." He added as he slowly stepped over to the fire.

Rose laid Johnny down and looked him over. "He's fine, just exhausted."

"That's good to know…" Jake breathed before falling on his face. The light from the fire revealed a gash on his right side that none of the pokemon had seen before.

"Jake!" Rose ran to Jake's side. "What have you been doing?"

"Toying with death…" Jake sighed before falling unconscious.

Rose looked at Rascal who stared back pleadingly.

"He'll be just fine." She said to him as if he could answer. "I promise he will."

Rascal went to her and licked Jake's cheek. He just had to be okay. He curled up by Jake's side and went to sleep, while Rose got the first aid kit. Rascal began to dream about the day when he and Jake first met

========================================================================

Rascal ran down the street cautiously looking up each alley for something. He had to find it fast before his master and his pokemon found out. He reached the alley where he had dropped the stolen item. Too late. Mr. Ryder and his Garchomp were already on the scene.

Garchomp spotted Rascal before Ryder did. "You're in deep trouble child." Garchomp growled at him. Ryder heard the growl and whirled around.

"Where is my item?" He yelled.

"I swear, I dropped it right here!" Rascal replied fearfully. "The man was a police officer, I'll bet you he searched the entire place for it!"

"If I don't get it soon, your life won't be worth the dirt I feed you!" Ryder screeched.

Suddenly there was a man at the end of the alley. He wore a brown cowboy hat, and had a badge clipped to his belt that read "Olivine Police."

"The ability to speak to pokemon. A gift, and a curse." He said with a grin.

"Yes, but It's a gift for me. Pokemon can do my bidding!" He looked at Garchomp. "Attack!"

"I don't think so. Machoke NOW!!" The officer yelled as a Machoke appeared from nowhere and punched the Garchomp across the side of the head. The Garchomp staggered back and grunted. He looked around and then fell forward.

Ryder returned the Garchomp to his pokeball. "It certainly hasn't ended today." Ryder disappeared into the darkness, and that was the last time Rascal would see him for ten years.

The officer knelt in front of the Shinx and pulled out an empty pokeball. "I think you'd be safer with me." He touched the button to Rascal's forehead, sucking him into the pokeball. Rascal didn't struggle, because he knew that the man was probably right. When he was released from the ball again, they were at the docks. He shivered as the cold nipped his bare nose. He was in the arms of a young boy. At first Rascal was frightened but then he saw the obvious joy in the boy's face to have a friend.

It made Rascal feel like he had a purpose, more of a purpose than Ryder had told him he was good for.

"Rascal an' me are gonna be champions Daddy, and nothing's gonna stand in our way." The boy said before letting Rascal down.

=======================================================================

Rascal woke up groggily and looked around. Rose was still awake by the fire. She checked on Jake periodically, who was laying by the fire in a cold sweat.

"I'm so sorry. The Thunder attack, plus being slashed by that Scyther, couldn't have been good for you at all." Rascal growled.

"Why are you apologizing? You know he can't hear you, and even then he can't understand you." A voice echoed in his mind.

"It makes me feel better." Rascal replied.

"Why do you love this human so? From what I saw in your dream, it was the boy's father who saved your life that day." Kadabra said, still in his pokeball.

"Jake's saved my life on more than one occasion. He cares, about me, and all of the others, and you too." Rascal stood up and walked over to Jake and lay down next to him. "Don't even think about dying on me, Jake."

Kadabra was silent for the rest of the night. He thought about Jake and Rascal. They'd been together ten years and had a strong bond. They were more than trainer and pokemon; they were family.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 10 – A Chance Meeting (Vs. Lucario)

Lucario had had no doubt that Jake was coming back to get them, but when the Garchomp lunged out of the bushes at him, there was only one thing left to do; get the hell out of there and keep Xander safe.

Xander now lay next to him in a dark cave, still unconscious while they waited for sunrise. Lucario nodded off to sleep for a fraction of a second when he heard a voice.

"Hello there."

Lucario lurched awake and glanced around.

"Don't be afraid. I haven't come to harm you. I only want to know why you've chosen my home to hide in, and why you're hiding here." The voice said.

"I was running from a Garchomp that was trying to kill my trainer. He wasn't around so it came after me instead." Lucario didn't expect the owner of the mysterious voice to know what he'd just said, but he explained anyway.

"I see, and does this Garchomp have a reason for wanting your trainer dead?" The voice said.

"You understood me!" Lucario was shocked.

"Of course. I'm a pokemon myself; but you and I both know that a Lucario can mimic human speech, so let's speak in human speech." The voice said amusedly. "Why does this Garchomp want you and your trainer dead?"

Lucario sat for a minute. He rarely ever spoke in human speech. He had never had a need to, nor did he want to, but he could do it just this once for this stranger. "The Garchomp's trainer is an assassin that wants my trainer dead."

"I see, and this assassin works for who?" The voice seemed almost sarcastic.

"Team Rocket." Lucario answered abruptly.

"Hmmm." The pokemon finally stepped out into the open for Lucario to see. "I hate Team Rocket." He was of a species of pokemon that Lucario had never seen before. He stood at six feet tall, and had red eyes, no mouth, long red blades for claws, and had a scar across his left eye. "You may call me Shade."

"I'm just Lucario," Lucario said standing, "and this is Xander."

"Welcome to my humble home. Your young friend seems bushed." The pokemon said.

"Yes, he was attacked by a Scyther not long ago. I don't know what I can do for him." Lucario replied.

"Maybe I can do something for him." Shade answered stepping over to Xander.

The Shinx was covered in small cuts and knicks. The Scyther was mostly after the Johnny, so Xander wasn't hovering on death's doorstep but he was close.

Shade knelt next to him and held his hand over Xander's forehead. There was a bright light and then slowly Xander's eyes began to open.

"A healing technique." Lucario said quietly.

"Over the years I discovered that I had the ability to heal myself and others." Shade replied.

"That's a lucky thing for him." Lucario said gesturing to Xander who had drifted off to sleep.

====================================================================

Jake looked toward the sun set for the second night since he woke up from his unconsciousness. Rose took Johnny to Cherrygrove City while Jake remained behind to wait for Lucario and Xander.

He couldn't figure out why they would just wander off. There was a massive footprint in the center of camp. It was quite possible that they were chased out of camp.

After nearly ten minutes, Jake slipped quietly to sleep.

Jake and Rascal walked into town quickly and quietly. They had just had a run in with Team Aqua, and were hoping that there weren't more to come. Jake was ten, and Rascal was a young Luxio at the time, but he didn't lack any of the savvy that Jake knew and loved about him.

"That Azumarill nearly killed us." Jake said to Rascal as they made their way to the Pokemon Center. His left shoulder was dislocated in the incident, and was now in a sling that Jake had made with his bandanna.

They stepped into the Pokemon Center and saw three of Team Aqua's grunts standing ad the counter.

Ignoring them, Jake placed five pokeballs on the counter. "Can you heal these five for me?" He asked. "Also can you do anything about my shoulder?"

His mother peered over the counter. "Jake, what have you been doing?" She cried. She came around and made a commotion, about a dislocated shoulder, which Jake thought was a little thing. "Oh, just you wait 'til your father gets home! You are…" Jake tuned her out until the end of her rant. "…do you understand me?"

Jake sighed. "Mom, I've been gone for two weeks! Look, I even have my first gym badge!"

His mom gasped. "Jake I'm sorry. I forgot that it must be tough out there on your own. Come on let's get you looked at."

Twenty minutes later he came back out and looked around. His mother had told him that because he dislocated his shoulder, it would be easier to dislocate it the next time he got into trouble. "Guess that means we gotta be careful." Jake said to Rascal as they left.

Rascal shot him a look as if to say, "Speak for yourself."

"What?" Jake asked innocently.

Jake looked around suddenly. He felt as though they were being watched. In the forest it was creepy, but in the city it was even creepier, because you had no idea who it could be.

"Rascal." Jake said quietly.

Rascal growled in reply.

Then they saw him standing in the middle of the intersection. Cars passed him as if he wasn't even there. People walked by him but didn't say a thing. Jake could tell this was a pokemon, but what kind of pokemon was it? It stood as tall as a basketball player, his eyes glowing as red as blood. There was no mouth to emphasize a smile, but Jake could tell that the pokemon was smiling to him self. The pokemon had pointed ears somewhat like a cat, and long red blades that served as claws. His tail was long and thin, and swished every couple of seconds.

Suddenly, he was gone, as quickly as he had appeared.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 11 – Gym Membership

Lucario stepped into the moonlight. "We'd better get a move on, before Garchomp discovers that you tricked him."

"I heartily agree. Not that I couldn't take him, but I don't think I'd like that." Shade replied.

Xander quietly looked on as the two other pokemon conversed.

They headed quietly into the night, hoping to find Jake at the last place they found him.

======================================================================

Jake sat up quickly. "Damn…fell asleep again." He quietly grumbled, while recalling the dream he had just had. "Why do I keep seeing him?" He asked himself.
The dream about the black pokemon was bothering him. Jake knew who the pokemon was, because it had saved his life two years after the events in his dream took place. The question Jake wanted answered was what was it?

"Not even I know." The pokemon said to him when he asked four years ago.

How could he not know what he was? If he did know, it would answer a great many questions for Jake.

Jake didn't intend to dwell on any of those questions here and now though, because the most important thing was to find Lucario and Xander. He could worry about the origin of that mysterious creature later.

He pulled out his pokegear and listened to the radio. The sound of DJ Mary's sweet voice always put him back to sleep when he was younger. Rascal lay by his side next to the rock.

After a couple of minutes DJ Mary's voice was interrupted by a breaking news bulletin. "We're broadcasting live from Mahogany Town where just moments ago, the pokemon trainer that was slated to succeed the missing Pryce as Gym Leader has decided to step down. He didn't give a statement as to why he was stepping down, except that he was compelled to not accept his new role of Mahogany Gym Leader."

If Jake hadn't been lying down, he would have fallen on his face. "What??"

"Furthermore, Prof. Oak has also been reported missing by his granddaughter, and fellow researcher, Daisy Oak." The reporter added.

Jake switched off the radio and got on the phone. After several rings, Ben answered his home phone. "Jake!" He yelled looking at the caller id.

"Yes sir. Have you been watching the news?" Jake said, cutting straight to the chase as usual.

"Yes, I just heard about the Gym Leader, and Prof. Oak. Oak was kidnapped the day after you left." Ben said.

"Is that gonna put a damper on your plan to catch the pokemon thieves?" Jake asked.

"Jake this goes way beyond pokemon thieves. Three days ago, Interpol sent me a fax with the info of two people seen entering Olivine Port the day after you left. I think they may be two of eight trainers, who call themselves The Titans. I'm uploading a picture of one of them now." The picture appeared on the screen. He resembled that of a weightlifter. "His name is Mars, named for the god of war on Mt. Olympus. If you run into him, you're in deep trouble. As for the disappearance of Oak, and the stepping down of the Mahogany Gym Leader, It will cause the Pokemon League to cancel the Johto Conference. I've got another idea though. Call me back tomorrow at nine A.M. sharp!" With that Ben hung up.

Jake lay back down, his heart was racing. If they cancelled the Johto Conference, it would mean he came for nothing. The Titans didn't come as much of a surprise.

Jake woke up the next morning at 8:45 and picked up his pokegear.

Ben answered the phone grumpily. "I said nine sharp!"

"I don't have time for this Ben. I've gotta find my Lucario." Jake said just as grumpily.

"Okay, so here it is. Prof. Elm has agreed to take Prof Oak's place as a judge in the Pokemon League, but trainers can't win a gym badge from a gym that doesn't have a Gym Leader. That's where you come in; you're going to take the Gym Leader aptitude test. I know that you would mop the floor with anyone who would take that test." Ben explained.

"But we just got finished registering me for the Johto League." Jake replied.

"Exactly. You have to be registered in order to be a Gym Leader." Ben answered. "Well?"

Jake looked around. "I'll do it. When is the test?"

"Three days. I wouldn't have even asked you if I didn't think you and Rapidash could make it from there to Mahogany in three days." Ben said.

"Piece of cake." Jake replied with a grin. "But I will have to find Lucario and Xander before I do anything else."

"Understood. Your mission is to pass that aptitude test, and become the Gym Leader of Mahogany Town." Ben answered.

"Got it. I'll be there in three days." Jake answered.

Jake hung up and set out to search for Lucario and Xander.

==============================================================================

Lucario, Shade and Xander had been walking since midnight. Now the sun was rising, and it was obvious that they were being followed. Lucario glanced back at Shade who had been behind Xander. The only problem with that was the fact that Shade wasn't back there anymore.

"Lucario?" A voice asked quickly. "I've been looking everywhere for you." Jake stepped out into the trail and smiled. "C'mon, we gotta go!"

Lucario was overjoyed at seeing Jake again. He ran up to Jake and hugged him for the first time since he was a Riolu.

Jake threw up a pokeball, which contained his Rapidash, and then returned Lucario and Xander to their pokeballs, and climbed onto Rapidash's back. Rascal walked up beside Rapidash and looked up at Jake as if to say, "Let's go!"

Jake grinned and together they rode away into the afternoon sun.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 12 ? Day 1: Cherrygrove and Beyond!

10:49 P.M.
Cherrygrove City

Jake rode into the city on Rapidash?s back with Rascal running beside him. They had traveled non-stop since he had found Xander, and Jake was rather anxious to return Xander to Johnny and then move on to Violet City.

They came to the Pokemon center and Jake climbed down off of Rapidash?s back. ?Take a rest partner.? Jake said as he returned Rapidash.

As he stepped into the Pokemon Center there was a person at the counter crying.

?Excuse me, ma?am? What?s wrong?? Jake asked her.

She sniffled and looked at him through teary eyes. ?Someone stole my little Pichu!?

?Did you see him?? Jake asked calmly.

?Y-yes. He had jet black hair, a-and black eyes, and h-he wore a Team Rocket uniform!? She wailed. ?He said he needed an electric pokemon to power some kind of machine!?

Jake knew exactly whom she had just described. ?Did he have any pokemon with him??

?Yes. He had an Umbreon and a Golem.? She said.

?Billy Marshall.? Jake growled.

?Jake?? A voice said from behind.

Jake whirled around to see Rose and Johnny standing behind him. ?Johnny!? Jake cried. ?Looky here!? He pulled out Xander?s pokeball and handed it to Johnny.

Johnny released him from his pokeball and hugged him. ?I missed you!?

While Johnny and Xander were being reunited, Jake walked over to Rose. ?Rose I?ve got to bow out of the Johto League. I?m going to Mahogany town to take the Gym Leader aptitude test.?

Rose paused for a second. ?That?s wonderful! You?re going to be a Gym Leader.?

?There?s no guarantee that I?ll pass.? Jake replied solemnly.

?I believe in you.? Rose whispered.

Jake remembered the girl behind him and then looked at Rose. ?Well, if I?m goin? to be a Gym Leader, I?d better act like one.?

Rose smiled, ?Go get ?em tiger.?

Jake turned and faced the weeping girl. ?I?ll return with your Pichu.?

He turned and walked out with Rascal close behind.

Outskirts of town

Billy laughed loudly as they forced the helpless Pichu into a cage that would drain his power, and store it to be used in the amplifier. ?It?s a thing of beauty isn?t it, Bonnie?? He said with a cold grin.
?I can?t wait to try it.? She said with an equally cold grin. ?There?s a handsome young man that I?d love to try it on.?

?All in due time, dear girl. In another day or so your play thing will arrive and I?ll let you do what ever you want to him.? Billy said. ?Watching him suffer will be enough for me.?

?Watching who suffer?? A familiar voice yelled across the clearing.

?What?? Billy growled turning back to see whom it was.

?It?s him! My boy toy!? Bonnie yelled gleefully.

?He?s all yours.? Billy said with a mix of scorn and amusement on his face.

Bonnie pulled out three pokeballs and tossed them out. ?Gliscor! Ditto! Victreebell! Skarmory! GO!?

The four pokemon attacked. Jake coolly smiled. ?Rascal use Thunder!?

The Thunder attack went straight into the sky and came back down hitting a rod on the amplifier.

?Ha! Your electric attacks don?t work here, cutie.? Bonnie laughed. The amplifier will absorb all of your attacks, and then I?ll have enough energy to have my fun!?

As soon as she finished, her Skarmory used Steel Wing, hitting Jake across the side of the head. ?Damn?? Jake cursed under his breath as he slammed into the trunk of a nearby oak tree.

?You shouldn?t try to resist; it will only make her want you more.? Billy said with a cool grin from the tree line.

?Ditto, transform into Golem!? Bonnie cried. ?Ditto, use Rock Throw!?

?Slice, use Iron Claw!!? Johnny?s voice called from the trees. A Scyther shot out of the trees in a blur of speed and slashed through Ditto.

Ditto went down instantly with a loud cry.

?That?s not fair!!? Bonnie screeched.

?Yet you attacked Jake when Rascal was occupied by three other pokemon. There was no fairness there.? Johnny shouted back.

?Hmph! I?ll show you! Gliscor use Air Cutter on Scyther!? Bonnie ordered.

Just as Gliscor prepared to attack, she was hit by a burst of flames from Jake?s direction.

Bonnie turned and saw that Jake?s Rapidash had assaulted her Gliscor and taken out her Skarmory and Victreebell as well. ?NO!? She cried seeing that all of her pokemon were defeated. She looked back to Billy for help but he was nowhere to be seen. ?Damn coward?? She growled clenching her fists. ?Fine you beat me!? She said walking over to Jake.

Before anyone could react, she swung her left foot around and roundhouse kicked Jake in the head. Bonnie bent over him and grabbed the collar of his jacket and pulled him in close. ?But I?m not going anywhere without one of these.? Their lips met and Bonnie wrapped her arms around him. Soon she released him and pulled back. ?If you fought as good as you kissed, you?d be more than deadly.? She said with a mischievous grin.

Jake was at a loss for words, while Johnny appeared to be disgusted. ?EWWWW COOTIES!!!? He screeched.

Bonnie smiled wickedly at Johnny. ?You?ll learn when you?re older, boy.? She pulled out a smoke bomb and smashed it on the ground. When the smoke cleared, she and her pokemon were gone.

?That girl is insane!? Johnny cried.

Back at the Pokemon Center.

Jake and Johnny walked in with all of the stolen electric pokemon?s pokeballs. ?We have returned victorious!? Johnny shouted.

?And all thanks to Johnny!!? Jake added.

The girl who lost her Pichu happily ran to him and hugged him. ?You?re my hero!? She cried.

?Well, it was nothin?, really.? Jake replied.

Jake gave her the Pichu and she kissed him on the cheek.

========================================================

The next day, Jake climbed onto Rapidash?s back and said his good byes to everyone and rode out of Cherrygrove City.

When he got into the woods a Scyther stepped out into the road with Johnny close behind. ?So, you?re trying to ditch me again aren?t you?? Johnny said sadly.

?I didn?t think you wanted to come with me.? Jake replied.
?Well I do. I promise I won?t be any trouble and I don?t even have to ride with you. While you were gone, Slice and I figured out a way to travel. I can hold on to his feet while he flies.? Johnny pleaded.
Jake sat for a minute. ?Johnny, my dad told me that a man (or in your case a kid) has to go wherever his heart takes him. If you wanna go with me, then you can. I?m not gonna stop you, but I?m not goin? to all the Gyms anymore. You won?t be able to get all of the badges if you go with me.?

?I know, Rose told me when I left, and I say there?s always next year.? Johnny said.

Jake hopped off of Rapidash and walked over to Johnny. Jake took Johnny?s cap off, and ruffled his hair. ?Good to have ya back, Shorty.? Jake said with a grin. Jake hopped back onto Rapidash and Johnny grabbed Slice?s foot, and together they traveled onward to Violet City.

Last edited:

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years
Chapter 13 – Day 2: Violet City Violence!

Jake and Johnny got to Violet City in no time, with Rapidash and Scyther's speed being what they were. It was three P.M. and the town was deathly quiet.

Soon a person peeked out of his home and looked at Jake and Johnny. "Are you out of your minds?? Quick, get in here before they see you!" He hissed.

Jake and Johnny returned their pokemon and went into the man's house. "Before who sees us?" Jake asked.

The man shut the door and looked out of the window. "Them!" He said.

Jake stood up and went over to the window. There was a man sitting in the window of the police station across the street. He wore a silver mask, which covered most of his face. The only part that wasn't covered was his mouth. Standing on one side of him was an Umbreon, and on the other side, an Espeon.

"He calls himself Phantom. He came in about three days ago and killed the chief of police, and then declared himself the chief. He's strong enough that the police didn't question it." The man explained.

"Humph, Just a borrowed name." Jake scoffed recalling a book he had read last year. "He doesn't have the courage to show his true identity. Why doesn't the Gym Leader do anything?"

The man looked at Jake gravely. "Phantom had him arrested. Falkner was in no position to resist because they outnumbered him."

"I see. Can I bust him out?" Jake said, already laying out his plan.

"You're not thinkin' of challenging Phantom are you?" The man asked worriedly.

"That's exactly what he's thinkin' of doin'." Johnny said with a grin.

"Right. Mister, you're lookin' at the soon to be Gym Leader of Mahogany Town." Jake said, while pulling a bandana out of his pocket. He looked at Johnny. "I'll need a distraction."

"You've got it." Johnny replied. "They'll never catch Slice."

"Mister, you'd better hide and watch." Jake said to the man. "Johnny, send Slice out the back door, and you stay in here. Have him return here when he's finished." Jake wrapped the bandana around his face, and took off his hat.

Johnny nodded.

Jake stepped outside and looked around. Phantom was gone from the window. Jake ran to the Police Station and entered. There was one officer and he was sleeping with his feet propped up.

Jake "borrowed" the officer's keys and went over to the jail cell where a young man, with black hair, and dark eyes seemed to be its only occupant. "Leader Falkner, I presume?" Jake said grinning under his bandana.

"And you are?" Falkner asked.

"For now, just Kid will do." Jake replied, while trying keys in the keyhole.

Falkner stood up and went over to the cell door. "Is that your name…Kid?"

"Well, Mauville Kid is too long to say now isn't it?" Jake chuckled. "Besides, I haven't been called that for years."

Falkner grinned. "The famous Mauville Kid, all the way from Hoenn?"

"The one and only." Jake had finally found the key. "Got it, let's get out of here!"

"Not so fast!"

Jake looked over his shoulder to see the officer wasn't sleeping anymore. "Rascal!" He cried.

Rascal used Thunder Wave on the unsuspecting officer.

"Let's go!!" Jake yelled. They all ran out into the street where they saw the Phantom waiting for them.

"A valiant effort on your part, young man, but I do not think it will be enough." He grunted.

Jake scoffed. "We finally meet. The man they call Phantom."

"And the child they call Mauville." Phantom retorted.

"This fight is between you and I, Phantom." Falkner stepped in. "You're under arrest."

"Maybe, but I have a better idea. Why don't you both take a dirt nap?" He yelled maniacally. "Espeon, Psychic! Umbreon, Shadow Ball!"

The pokemon's attacks hit Rascal and threw him back into Jake. Together, Jake and Rascal, both slammed into a nearby wall.

Jake staggered to his feet, and angrily growled, "Rascal, use Thunder!"

Rascal responded with a powerful Thunder attack that hit Espeon and Umbreon at the same time.

Falkner pulled out a pokeball and threw it at Phantom missing him completely.

"Your aim could use some work!" Phantom said arrogantly.

"I wasn't aiming at the front of you."

Phantom turned around to see the pokeball coming back at him. "What trickery is this?" He shouted.

"It's no trickery. My Skarmory sheds feathers every so often, and they harden into iron hard feathers that can be used as weapons. I took it one step further with my invention: the pokeball boomerang." Falkner explained.

The boomerang hit the ground at Phantom's feet and released Falkner's Skarmory. "Skarmory! Steel Wing!" Falkner cried, as the bird pokemon let out a horrible metallic screech.

Skarmory's wings turned to steel as he launched his attack. The wings caught Phantom around his mid torso, and sent him to the ground.

"I thought cops used Growlithe." Jake said eyeing the metallic bird with a grin.

"My father was a brilliant bird master, and I guess it sort of rubbed off on me." Falkner replied returning him to his pokeball.

Jake grabbed Phantom by the collar of his coat. "Let's take 'em and get some answers from 'em."

"My boss will get you for this. He'll make you both pay for your insolence!" Phantom howled in pain.

"Oh I'm quakin' in my boots." Jake mocked.

"Would you mind telling us who your boss is?" Falkner asked.

Phantom looked at Falkner, and then Jake. "Go to hell!"

"That's not very nice!" Jake said kicking Phantom in the ribs.

Falkner grabbed Jake's arm. "Kid, you won't get any answers from him that way."

"I wouldn't have talked anyway!!" Phantom yelled.

"Let 'em go!"

Jake looked back to see that they were surrounded by police officers. Scyther was caught in a net, and Johnny was handcuffed in the back of a police car.

"What's the matter with you?" Falkner demanded.

"We're with him now." One officer stepped forward.

Jake felt a pulse at the back of his head, like a headache, but it seemed to be getting much worse. "That… sound." Jake took a faltering step forward. "Do you hear that??" He looked at Falkner who looked back like Jake was insane.

"What are you talking about?" Falkner was confused.

Suddenly Jake grabbed Phantom and put him into a headlock as if he were a human shield. "I'll feed 'em to my Luxray if you don't let the boy go!"

"You wouldn't dare!" Phantom yelled.

"I don't know, he looks crazy enough to do it." Falkner was becoming worried about Jake's current state.

"Let the boy go!" Jake repeated. Suddenly it clicked. It all made sense. During his training, he had spent most of his time around psychic type pokemon, which made him more attuned to their abilities. The psychic brain waves also had adverse effects on him, like bouts of rage, and violent tendencies.

Jake kneed Phantom in the back of the leg and brought him to the ground. Then he reached down and ripped Phantom's mask off, to reveal a young man who looked to be in his late twenties. Just before examining the mask, Jake punched him in the face.

The mask had a small silicon wafer on the inside, like a computer chip. "Just like I thought." Jake said triumphantly. He threw the mask on the ground and stepped on it, destroying the transmission it was emitting. "It occurred to me when I was close to Phantom just now. I recalled my training with my previous master. A year or so ago, she took me to the Copper Tower in Ecruteak City. Somehow the copper in the building amplified her pokemon's brain waves, and nearly drove me mad. Your officers are all wearing copper badges on their chests and hats. That's why he was able to control them." Jake explained.

"That's amazing." Falkner said

"The chip in his mask was turning his brain waves into that of a pokemon's." Jake added. "And now that that's finished..." Jake fell flat on his back and began to sleep.

Four hours later, Jake was awake and ready to go; Rapidash was waiting outside, and Johnny had just returned from the Gym with Falkner.

"Hey Jake! I told Falkner about what you're doing and he gave me this!" Johnny pulled a small CD case with a DVD inside that had "Gym Leader Aptitude Test" written on it in Sharpie.

"It's the least I can do, after you did what you could for Violet City." Falkner said with a smile.

Jake extended his hand, and Falkner shook it. "I won't forget this."

"It's I who should be doing the remembering. If there's anything I can do for you, just let me know." Falkner answered.

"As a matter of fact there is. You're a police officer so maybe you can help. I've been on the hunt for the man who's killed my father. He's an assassin who goes by the alias "Broken Sword". If you see him, could you contact the chief of police in Olivine city?" Jake said.

"I've heard the name. I'll do what I can, Jake. Good-bye young friend." Falkner said.

"So long, partner." Jake replied. He turned and climbed onto Rapidash's back. Johnny let Slice out of his ball, and grabbed his foot.

"Bye bye!!" Johnny cried as he and Jake disappeared into the sunset.

"May you fare well in your journeys." Falkner looked at Skarmory. "Doesn't he kind of remind you of Gold?"

Skarmory nodded.

"Let's go."

Together, they entered the Gym and rested up for a long day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2014
Wow, this is still as awesome as ever if not more! You seriously rock at this :) Can't wait for more

Back